Surface slick???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys i noticed a fee day ago i had oil slick type thing on the surface of my tank so ivacumes it off thinking it would go away however its still their just not as much anyone able to help me??
Could it be somethin im dosing in the tank? Im quite careful with spraying anything around it

Attachments

• image-2900608766.jpg
    image-2900608766.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 66
It's common in newer tanks especially, when the heterotrophic bacteria in your tank aren't completely up to speed and there's a large amount of organic gunk in your tank. I would check around in make sure you don't have anything rotting or decomposing in your tank real quick, but barring that, just wait for it to go away.

I noticed last night my fish where breathing heavily i tested everything and the levels where fine except for ph which crashed and was at 6.0 with an api test kit i rcently added a big bit of driftwood last week could these two (oil slick and ph) be linked i did some reading and someone had written driftwood can cause it to crash i?? I did a 30% partial water change and this morning i added a tiny bit of ph up

Imo, Don't bother with ph up or down, instability is much worse for anything living in your tank than a less than ideal ph level. I realize that the crash would be considered instability, but I feel like adding up or down would be fuel to the fire. If anyone disagrees please let me know because I'm always learning lol :)

I noticed last night my fish where breathing heavily i tested everything and the levels where fine except for ph which crashed and was at 6.0 with an api test kit i rcently added a big bit of driftwood last week could these two (oil slick and ph) be linked i did some reading and someone had written driftwood can cause it to crash i?? I did a 30% partial water change and this morning i added a tiny bit of ph up

Driftwood certainly can cause a drop in PH. Generally though this is when either a large piece is added to a small tank or lots of pieces added to a large tank.

Best thing to do is remove the driftwood, try to stabilise your PH and test the driftwood's effect on your PH in an empty tank or container.

Back
Top Bottom