Surprise RCS find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Last time I cleaned my AC50, I just took the sponges out and the bio-media out, rinsed them in tank water, and stuck them back in; didn't bother pulling the filter basket out. I haven't checked on the impeller in a while, so I decided today to tear the whole thing a part- checked/cleaned the impeller and then pulled out the entire filter basket instead of just pulling the media out. Under the filter basket there where AT LEAST 8-10 RCS of various sizes swimming around. Talk about a suprise! Maybe I should check down there a little more often! ;)

Magic, I think! :p Crazy, huh? I should have a cover for my intake I guess..just never saw the need for one previously!

Nice surprise! All I can find in my filter is tiny pest snails.
Once I resqued one of my danios from the filter basket. I heard a suspicious splash, looked under the lid, and sure enough there he was - swimming above the filter media. I have no idea how he got up there!

Nice surprise! All I can find in my filter is tiny pest snails.
Once I resqued one of my danios from the filter basket. I heard a suspicious splash, looked under the lid, and sure enough there he was - swimming above the filter media. I have no idea how he got up there!

Oh...there was a couple of those in there as well (snails)! That's crazy about your danio...I can believe it though, they can be little jumpers when they want to!

What I can't believe is that there were $40 worth of shrimp in my filter! (RCS go for about $5 a pop in my area.)

Haha... I found 5 or 6 of my Kerri Tetras in my Eheim canister one day. I thought for sure they had died. They were swimming around just begging me to get back in the tank.

Haha... I found 5 or 6 of my Kerri Tetras in my Eheim canister one day. I thought for sure they had died. They were swimming around just begging me to get back in the tank.

Wow! That's amazing that so many would do that! They must have been playing follow the leader. ;)

Oh...there was a couple of those in there as well (snails)! That's crazy about your danio...I can believe it though, they can be little jumpers when they want to!
Ha! I should have known that about the danios considering that one of them jumped out of the net when I first introduced them to their new home. :crazyeyes:

(BTW, I've been spying on both your 37 and 20 gal threads, your tanks are amazing! Inspired me to start with live plants too. :rolleyes: )

Apparently the Gods that be didn't like my thread title.

Danios are quite the characters when they want to be, that's for sure! Thanks for the compliments! I think a planted tank is always a work in progress, but I am pretty pleased with how they are both doing at the moment!

Good for you! IMO artifical plants just can not beat the look and feel of live plants. :)

Checked the filter again today just to make sure everything was ok...more shrimp back under the filter basket! Recomendations on a way to keep them out? (I have a AC50 on this tank.)

Put some brand new (un-washed) pantyhose over the intake tube or buy the filter media bags that you place in your filter and put it over the intake tube.

Maybe they're just trying to clean a dirty filter ;)

Just imagine the wild ride that must be going up the tube. Then landing in the filter and being like "Oh hey guys, fancy meeting you up here!"

Put some brand new (un-washed) pantyhose over the intake tube or buy the filter media bags that you place in your filter and put it over the intake tube.

Maybe they're just trying to clean a dirty filter ;)

Just imagine the wild ride that must be going up the tube. Then landing in the filter and being like "Oh hey guys, fancy meeting you up here!"
:biglol:

Back
Top Bottom