Survey: How Much Glut Do You Dose Daily?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I guess I'm under dosing then, judging by how much glut everyone is using! I dose 8ml for 30 gal tank, still see some algae, may be I should increase to 10ml?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Metricide 14 is 2.5% gluteraldehyde. Excel is an unknown % of polycycloglutaracetal. Similar compounds with similar results. Metricide is supposedly twice the strength of Excel, but I have not seen any strong evidence to support that claim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have API co2 booster at 1.6% and the dose rate for both it and excel as the same but I should try and find out. I'm mixing excel and this 10% solution so I end up at about 5%. So far no problems with the fish.

Well I guess I'm under dosing then, judging by how much glut everyone is using! I dose 8ml for 30 gal tank, still see some algae, may be I should increase to 10ml?

It's knocked the BBA down but I have green hair/spot algae hanging around. Especially on one side that gets a little natural light.

I'm up to 20mL in my 60 gal now and seeing improvement in plant growth.

~25 mL Metricide / day - 65g.

Schoeplein how long did it take you to build up to that? I have been increasing by .5ml (metricide 14 2.6%) daily in my 60g and am up to 15ml. The last few weeks my fish are all getting sick and dying and I worry it's too much glut or maybe just too fast?

Also, if you increase slowly to let the fish get used to it - what about when you add new fish? Boom - they get the full dose day one!

Would really appreciate help as I am freaking out about losing fish. In 2 years I barely lost a single one (before ferts/glut/plants) and now all of a sudden they are all getting sick.......

If your fish aren't doing well, it's not due to gluteraldehyde. New fish do fine when I've added them at various stages of my increasing glut dosing. Neons, cories specifically (increasing schools and shoals). The reason I slowly up my dosing is due to escalated plant growth, nothing more. I've upped dosing to around 40mL per day with no ill affect on any of my fish, snails, or shrimp. I upped it about 3mL per week to get where I'm at. Though I don't dose all 40mL at once. It's split to 20mL every 12 hours, and I do six 3-4mL injections all over the tank (each corner, and the front and back middle of the tank).

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your fish aren't doing well, it's not due to gluteraldehyde. New fish do fine when I've added them at various stages of my increasing glut dosing. Neons, cories specifically (increasing schools and shoals). The reason I slowly up my dosing is due to escalated plant growth, nothing more. I've upped dosing to around 40mL per day with no ill affect on any of my fish, snails, or shrimp. I upped it about 3mL per week to get where I'm at. Though I don't dose all 40mL at once. It's split to 20mL every 12 hours, and I do six 3-4mL injections all over the tank (each corner, and the front and back middle of the tank).

Oh boy wish I knew what to do. On this site everyone seems to use high glut with no issues. On the planted tank I have a thread and everyone is saying that the 15ml a day in my 60g is WAY too much and toxic. (Including people who are known as the experts on that site such as Hoppy).

It's so confusing and the problem is that my fish keep dying. I'm freaking out as I've already lost 3 in 3 weeks so something is wrong and I just don't know what or what to do!

I got slack after a pwc and just poured a dose in. Was probably double or triple normal dose. Lost a Molly and a lot of plants lost leaves (well more than normal) and the val lost chunks on the leaves. Back to carefully measuring it out now.

If your fish aren't doing well, it's not due to gluteraldehyde.

Agreed. I dose 30ml in my heavily planted 60g and increased to that dose pretty quickly. None of my fish seem to be having problems, and I have neons, cories, and Otos.

Oh boy wish I knew what to do. On this site everyone seems to use high glut with no issues. On the planted tank I have a thread and everyone is saying that the 15ml a day in my 60g is WAY too much and toxic. (Including people who are known as the experts on that site such as Hoppy).

It's so confusing and the problem is that my fish keep dying. I'm freaking out as I've already lost 3 in 3 weeks so something is wrong and I just don't know what or what to do!

Yah tpt has entirely different views on glut, those guys under dose excel actually. I can only speak for my own experience with metricide. Just actually recieved my my 2nd gallon a few days ago. I've been dosing on the high side at .5ml/gal for months and months. My rams and shrimps are all still kicking. I'm guessing if your fish are dropping like Flys there is something else going on in the tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yah tpt has entirely different views on glut, those guys under dose excel actually. I can only speak for my own experience with metricide. Just actually recieved my my 2nd gallon a few days ago. I've been dosing on the high side at .5ml/gal for months and months. My rams and shrimps are all still kicking. I'm guessing if your fish are dropping like Flys there is something else going on in the tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brookster. Just wish I could figure out what is going on. I'm heartbroken to keep losing them!

Out of interest did they say why or have any examples? Curious on what they were seeing.

Out of interest did they say why or have any examples? Curious on what they were seeing.

No, they just said that metricide is highly toxic and felt that glut should not ever be used at more than double the dose on the Excel bottle as it's toxic to the fish.

It's a tough call for me as I know lots of people on here use high glut and I have to say since I've started using it my algae problem is MUCH better and my plants are growing like crazy which is great part, but the sickness and deaths also coincide with the glut increase. Might be a coincidence as nothing else has changed. I joined this thread as it was a survey on glut dosing but I have another thread on here asking for input on why my fish keep getting sick/dying and I've had responses from others but not really got any other ideas of what it could be.

No, they just said that metricide is highly toxic and felt that glut should not ever be used at more than double the dose on the Excel bottle as it's toxic to the fish.

It's a tough call for me as I know lots of people on here use high glut and I have to say since I've started using it my algae problem is MUCH better and my plants are growing like crazy which is great part, but the sickness and deaths also coincide with the glut increase. Might be a coincidence as nothing else has changed. I joined this thread as it was a survey on glut dosing but I have another thread on here asking for input on why my fish keep getting sick/dying and I've had responses from others but not really got any other ideas of what it could be.

Strange. Although all my fish I've had for some time and the fry are I guess used to my water conditions. Which thread is yours out of interest?

I dose 40mml a day in my 40g with no ill effect on anything cories, neons, otos, amanon shrimp and gbr the cory and gbr fry also do fine. Im dosing metricide btw

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Strange. Although all my fish I've had for some time and the fry are I guess used to my water conditions. Which thread is yours out of interest?

I don't know how to post the link from my phone. It's in general discussion and called why are my fish getting sick. I will post the link when back at my computer tho.

Back
Top Bottom