Suspended chain swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

sometimes I have a problem with my chain swords getting uprooted with my fish. I try with every water change to replant them, but since my fish dig at the substrate searching for food, the uprooting is a continuous occurrence.

I'm just wondering, if I don't replant them every week, or even if I replant them, will my chain swords end up dying? Or can they survive for a while suspended in the water, if not indefinately?

Also, since they often get uprooted, I'm noticing a different colour on the roots of them compared to the leaves of the plant. I'm just wondering, do roots turn a specific colour to indicate that a plant is dying/lacking nutrients? (or conversely, is there a "healthy colour") Is the colour reflective of the well-bring of a plant? Or does the colour of the roots depend on the specific plant?

Thanks for any help.

Assuming the substrate isnt extremely lightweight, the sword will eventually root and you're set, but will probably grow floating. Paraphrasing what Travis told me when battling with glosso vs kuhliis, "you have to be more stubborn than your fish." ;)

I've only seen different shades of white in roots.

I think the change in root color is directly related to them receiving light, and since this is not an epiphytic plant, it can't really obtain nutrients from the water column very well long-term, unless the roots were very close to the nutrient source, which would be right on the bottom and without water movement (as in when you root a terrestrial plant in a container of water).

I'd try to use some sort of netting, like small plastic mesh screen with openings about 1/4" or so. A hair net might work. Also, a fine substrate like sand will make it much easier for the plant to get established than with gravel.

You might try getting some fishing line, as light as you can get it. And using a rock to weight the plants down. I had to do this with a few plants till they took root. Or you might just try placing rocks about an inch or so across around the base of the plant.

Also how deep is your sub-strata? If it's too shallow that could be your problem too. I have 2 inches, I've found anything less then that and the current from some HOB filters is enough to up your plants. But since you said it was your fish. eh.

You can also try this. Take your plant, and trim the very tips off some of the roots, also prune your plant down, any large leafs that the tips are getting brown, cut the whole leaf off. I know it looks odd doing that to grasses like chain swords but it works. This is why, when a plant has a damaged leaf like any other organism it will try to repair the damage and will put a good deal of effort in to correcting this problem. By removing the dead leaf / stem the plant can use that same energy / plant stuff to grow the rest of the plant. By trimming the very tips of some of the large roots you simulate this process and the plant will put energy into re-growing the roots.

HTH

Thanks for the replies.

yea I've been stubborn and at every opportunity replanting the suspended ones. lol. That netting idea sounds rather interesting. Though I suspect hard work initially, but if I add all the time planting and replanting, it probably will work out to around the same.

My substrate is a little bit over 2 inches. hmm.. sounds interesting about cutting the roots. I might give that a go first and see how things pan out.

Let us know if you are able to get them rooted. It is a very tricky thing to keep plants with goldfish!

haha... plants and goldfish, I think I know why ppl don't put them together. Oh well, I like a challenge.. lol

Well there are 2 main culprits that insist on uprooting :x Though I suppose I'm lucky that the other lot stay planted in the ground. So i'll keep on replanting those 2 each water change, but atm happy that the others are sticking well in the ground.

Back
Top Bottom