Swords growing out covered in BGA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't treated the DP tank yet for the BGA - just doing lots of water changes and manual removal while I wait for the little one to get a bit bigger before a blackout (and if that fails I'm doing the Maracyn !).

I have 3 red rubin swords and 2 ocelot swords in the tank. The "plan" was to let them grow out in this tank and then transfer 3 of them to the 20G Longs that I'm planning on setting up. But now I'm afraid LOL - I HATE BGA !!!!

Is there any "sure fire" way to eradicate the BGA on the swords ? I was thinking a thorough rinse and then soaking them in a bucket with an OD of Maracyn for a few days, then rinsing again before I put them in the other tanks. Any thoughts on this ?

i have not yet experienced a BGA outbreak, but a blackout is supposed to kill it off.

BGA = blue green algae? as in cyanobacteria? I've had a little of it in my tank, and found that upping nitrates and water movement gets rid of it very quickly. I had it on the substrate a little when I first set the tank up and didn't have any ferst yet. Now it will start to grow on the tips of my Myriophyllum, and I use that as my low nitrate indicator, and loss of pink in the tropic sunset as the high indicator. What is your nitrate reading in that tank?

joannde said:
BUMP .... so, do I OD with Maracyn or just chuck the plants ? or .... suggestions welcomed :)

I'm sure you've researched this already, but you won't actually be ODing on Maracyn. I've seen other recommendations saying to do half dosing, but I would be worried that that may not work.

I did a full round of dosing (as per the package instructions) and got rid of mine. I honestly don't know how you've been dealing with it this long.

I've been dealing with it forever ! (seriously - 2 or 3 months).

I dose nitrates to try and maintain between 20 and 30ppm. I've increased circulation. I manually remove as much as I can see each day (via turkey baster - approx 1gal of water removed daily - out of a 10G !). I'm getting ready to do a blackout on the tank.

My main concern in this post was to determine how to make sure its REALLY dead on the swords before I move them to another tank. If I see BGA in another tank I'll freak out for sure (aka Get the White Coat !). I don't plan to treat the tank with Maracyn right now (gonna try a 4 day blackout first), so I was thinking that when I'm ready to move the plants I'll do the Maracyn in a bucket with just the plants as a "final clearing" - BUT, if there's any indication that that tactic might fail then in all honesty I'd rather spend another $50 buying new plants for the new tanks (that's how much I hate BGA ! LOL).

JRagg - thanks for the sympathy :) yeah, its been a long time .... but I really wanted that little puffer to grow up a little before doing anything that might stress her too much.

I haven't heard any non-success stories from people who have used Maracyn / e-mycin against BGA so I'm encouraged that my "final soak" will work .... if anyone has any other experience please let me know .... I really don't like that white coat with the long arms LOL

All of my BGA went away when I added a powerhead to stir up the water in tha area where it was growing.

Back
Top Bottom