Swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Tuttle

Aquarium Advice Freak
In a heavily planted tank (or at least as heavily planted as I think I'll take it), how many male swordtails could I have?

The full stocking list is in my sig, with the disclaimer that my GBR didn't make it. With water that's hard like mine and a poor local stock, I think I'm going to pass on GBRs for a while.

I don't want to mix male and female swords, as I don't need more livebearer fry. The males are to be my centerpiece fish, and I'd like to try two. I could see that being a disaster potentially though.

i have 2 that I can send you..lol..however im not sure if i would add any more, do you feel like you need them to complete the tank?

Kind of. Like I say, my water's hard enough and my tank's stocked well enough that I think I'm going to wait a while to get GBRs, the fish I really want where they're so delicate.

I think I could handle one more male swordtail, but I didn't want to have them just quarrelling. I have a lot of hiding places.

I've had some swordtails before. I had 2 red males together in a 10g tank with some neons and they did fine. not sure about the female thing but it makes since. I would suggest getting the same type of swordtail and around the same size as the one you already have. Oh and i would put them in a QT tank for sure all the ones that ive ever bought have been sick maybe thats just luck. better safe than sorry. Ohh and after you got the one more swordtail i wouldnt put any more fish in your tank its stocked to its limit not counting the fry. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom