T5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLACKMOSS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for a used t5 setup for a 48in 75 g tank. Fish store quoted me $360.00 for sundown? lighting system. Im on a lower budget than that and was wondering if anyone had some old equipment their not using for sale. I can buy through ebay or other options. Thanks for reading this post and looking forward to any replies. :)

BLackmoss

I have heard far too many negatives about Catalina Aquariums to trust their fixtures. Being that you're on a budget I would go with a Tek fixture (check reefgeek.com) ;)

I haven't heard anything bad about Catalina aquariums. I have a 48" fixture as well and I love it. Their customer service is really good too.

I have heard far too many negatives about Catalina Aquariums to trust their fixtures. Being that you're on a budget I would go with a Tek fixture (check reefgeek.com) ;)

What have you heard about Catalina? JRP and I have the same fixture on our 75g planted tanks and love them. Their customer service is top notch too. UPS slaughtered the package containing my light. The housing was damaged, and Catalina sent me a completely new light in 3 days.

from the link innvator gave.
tek $329.95
fishneedit $139.99
catalinaaquarium $179.99

tek are great lights but like anything you pay for it.

The Tek fixture includes the bulbs by the way, of which you can choose from their huge assortment of Kelvin and Par ratings. I consider Teks above Nova Pro's, but below ATI's, Aquatinics, etc. As far as Catalina is concerned, I have heard everything from poor ballasts, reflectors, and shoddy bulbs on their lighting units to non-customer service responses after sales, etc. IME, I rather purchase from what I deem a reliable company than that with a seemingly negative track record amongst aquarists. Just my .02, take it for what you will :)

Last edited:
Catalina custom, hand-built my light according to my specs with regards to fans, LEDs, bulbs. I haven't heard a single poor thing about Catalina. I ordered mine shortly after JRP received his, and I based my purchase off of JRP's review as well as many people from plantedtank.net. I also called Catalina before purchasing, and they were more than friendly on telephone.

To the OP, take it for what its worth, but with regards to Catalina, I am speaking from first-hand experiences instead of "through-the-grapevine" rumors, not that I don't value Innovator's opinion, because he has definitely been around the block and knows what's going on.

Catalina custom, hand-built my light according to my specs with regards to fans, LEDs, bulbs. I haven't heard a single poor thing about Catalina. I ordered mine shortly after JRP received his, and I based my purchase off of JRP's review as well as many people from plantedtank.net. I also called Catalina before purchasing, and they were more than friendly on telephone.

To the OP, take it for what its worth, but with regards to Catalina, I am speaking from first-hand experiences instead of "through-the-grapevine" rumors, not that I don't value Innovator's opinion, because he has definitely been around the block and knows what's going on.
dont own them personally but i know several people who do. worst thing that happen is a couple bulbs broke during shipping. its hard to blame them for that i think they replaced them free of charge too. i wouldnt recommend them if they had a bad rap.

I love my Cataline fixture you can call them and tell them what you want and they will make it and it is at a very good cost, with great service.

I have /had also Catalina fixtures as well and had no issues .. (tho I am not currently using them on any of our tanks because I did a custom light that I am proud of ;) and wanted to use :D )
They use to have poor service but that has changed from the time I ordered my first light to the time I got my 3rd light ...
The only complaint I have is they dont include things with it ... which can add up ... but then all companies charge for every thing any ways which is why the prices are a bit more on other fixtures ;)
The one thing that NONE of my lights came with was the splash guard ,, not a big deal as I can get them cut here for around 5 bucks ... As for the moons if you dont want to pay you can do them yourself if you choose like we did . Our moons ran us about 10 bucks for the bulbs and the wall plug ;)
I would recommend them no problem ..

my catalina fixture came with bulbs and mounting legs. True, it had no splash guard, but I can't really think of anything else they would have included.

Back
Top Bottom