T5 Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefermadness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all it has been awhile since my last post. I've been on this forum more local and I am finding you guys are way better for advice. I am looking at a T5 unit with 8X54w HO. I want to eventually have anemones and clams. Do I have to have Halide? I know some can do just fine with moderate light but I'm the kind that likes to do it right the first time around. I am not as attached to the clams as I am the LPS and Anemones. Also should I use a 50/50 bulb ratio of actinics vs. white :lol: ?

Dang Melosu58 are you always online? I thing you have answered all my questions. LOL
It's a 90gal 48X18X24. The unit I am looking at is 48" long.

On Labor day I ruptured my achilles tendon and have nowhere to go till Jan. Just had the cast taken off last week and have to wear a boot now till Dec.. Nowhere to go but this computer. Sorry LOL
I imagine you`ll be OK on the anenomie. That will give you about 5 WPG and the T5`s have more intensity than the PC`s and VHO`s. I know you say you want to do it right the first time. MH`s will definitely do the job but those will be OK for anenomie. I`m not sure about the clam as I`ve never had one. I dont have enough light. I have VHO`s and only low-moderate lighting. Have a good one

Yeah I get it I had knee surgery this year and had to go through a similar recovery. Sorry to hear you have to go through such a tough situation. For give me for saying your loss is my gain LOL. you have been awesome. What did you think of the 50/05 question. I doubt you get this until tomorrow But I still love your advice.

I would think 8 x 54 watt t5s would be enough light for anything. I have seen a bigger tank than yours with SPS and clams etc run on only 4 X 54 watt T5s and it is awesome.

I use a super actinic and 50/50 VHO bulb. It kind of gives a little blue look but yes I like them for the LPS and other moderate light corals. Here is my tank that I`ve been using same light spectrum for 9 yrs now.

img_727321_0_fa2f70470cedd734ba890da84406af99.jpg

Keep in mind you will have better lighting with that T5

Yep I love your tank and have seen quite a few times. That would certainly be what I would like to shoot for. When you say you have 1 50/50 bulb , hoe does that compute to my 8x T5's?

Lighting is a touchy subject. I try to keep it simple. With the T5 you`ll have about 5 watts per gallon with alot more intensity then my VHO`s. I only have 3 watts per gallon. Your lighting will be much brighter than mine. It should be a good addition to your tank.

If you are going to buy T5 lights try to get them with individual reflectors. This increases the intensity (par) quite a bit. Check out the Tek5 lights from reefgeek.com. Those would definitely allow you to keep anything.

Back
Top Bottom