Tank 2 weeks old - white cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
High nitrate in your tap water is going to give you fits with your tank.
Normally you do a partial water change to lower nitrate levels but if your tap water already has high nitrate what do you do then?

Import water? ;)

No idea, I was hoping you guys might be able to tell me that! Would it help if I started feeding them just once a day?

that will help keep them down because it wont go to waist and turn to ammonioa.. the only thing i can think of.. is either a R/O D/I machine.. or go buy water by the gallon.. which.. at 125 gallons.. thats a lot of money...

Reverse Osmosis water would be best.. if you can supplement the tank with the minerals your stripping out of the water by doing so... so i think it would be the best way to do so.. and cheapest.. check ebay for them... just search reverse osmosis.

One thing at a time though, is this the cause of the cloudy water or is this an entirely separate issue?

That is awfully high for tap water 0_o.. my tap water is like.. 4ppm ammonia 1 ppm nitrite 0 nitrate =(

4 ppm ammonia in your tap water?? Do u live downriver from an industrial waste complex or something?? That's not good. There shouldn't be levels of ammonia in your tap water that are readable with an aquarium test kit.

Yeah but 4ppm seems very high. Normal would be less than .15 ppm I think.

So to sum up, I'm just waiting for the cloudiness to (hopefully) clear?

Try loading the filter with a large amount of activated carbon.
Usually clears up a cloudy tank in less than 2 days.

Try loading the filter with a large amount of activated carbon.
Usually clears up a cloudy tank in less than 2 days.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean? Is that something I put in with the filter media somewhere?

Mine's just the one that comes with the Juwel Rio 125 - it's got 2 basket things that slide out with various filter sponges and a cage with some white balls of... something. Can't see where I'd add in some carbon TBH but I could well be wrong.

Sorry, I didn't realize the type of tank/filtration that you had.

With that system, don't they sell a carbon filter sponge?

Maybe replace that

Sorry, I didn't realize the type of tank/filtration that you had.

With that system, don't they sell a carbon filter sponge?

Maybe replace that

Yeah there's a black carbon filter sponge. Should it really need replacing after 2 weeks..? That's going to get expensive...

Yeah there's a black carbon filter sponge. Should it really need replacing after 2 weeks..? That's going to get expensive...

Just trying to think of a way to add some carbon to the filter.

Activated carbon is cheap, too bad their carbon sponge is not. Carbon is usually good for only (opinions vary here) 2-4 weeks...

Anyways... i've never used a setup like yours.. so is there anyplace that you could add some carbon.? Tied up in a sock somewhere in your filter.... ? Maybe where the carbon sponge is?

It looks like this:
filter.jpg

As you can see there's a gap half way down that something else could go in... the carbon sponge is the black one near the top.

Oh bum, didn't realise the picture was so big, sorry...

Back
Top Bottom