Tank brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want a new one. Bigger one. At least a 20 gallon. Aqueon, Fluval, Top Fin......what do you guys like best? Does it matter?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought used but it's an "All-Glass". Seems well made. The light is stock, apparently, but it's far superior to the crap they put on kits these days and the stand is actual wood. No cheesy plastic hood either -- glass tops and quality reflectors.

Just really look over what you're getting. Most often, kits aren't worth any apparent savings because you end up upgrading the components.

Yeah, I want to do piece by piece too. I thought about used, but I'm still learning and repairs/modifications and knowing enough about what I'm looking at, etc. I figure paying a little more for the warranty is good? So, brand names don't carry any weight on your choosing one tank over another?

On the tank itself I would say no. Pretty much you are buying a glass box with silicone on the sides to hold it all together, kind of hard to mess that up imo. Now the components part is another story. So things like filters and heaters you want to pay close attention to the brand but as for the actual tank whatever you get should be fine.

On a side note, not sure where you live, but in the northern part of Texas Petco is having their $1 per gallon tank sale at the end of March. Might be something to look into if you want to get a large tank. :)

If you're going piecemeal over a kit (which I agree is better) then Petco's $1 per gallon sale is really the way to go. The only exception to this would be if you want a tank larger than 55 gallons or a bowfront tank. The tanks they have on sale are always the standard rectangle shapes and they rarely carry 75+ gallon tanks.

If you want a larger tank then Craigslist will give you the best deals. I've yet to need to take a manufacturer up on their warranty, and the cost savings of Craigslist are just too good to justify paying full price on the larger tanks. Just ask that they show the tank is leakproof before you buy, but if it does leak that's fairly simple to fix with some silicone sealant.

If you want a bowfront tank your options are more limited... Bowfronts are more likely to have structural issues, so this is the one time where I'd agree that storebought are the way to go. Aqueon usually makes good ones and typically include decent filters. I have a 36g bowfront that I bought the Aqueon kit for and haven't had any issues with it. My only complaint is that there isn't very much room for oversized HOB filters with that middle brace, so you'll need to go with a canister or dual HOB filters if you need extra filtration.

There are premium tanks with thicker glass and tidier silicone but the majority are all the same. And if you're getting a medium tank, beefier glass is not a priority.

I bought used for the cost savings. A 55 or bigger is dramatically cheaper used. But yeah, if you want a 20, wait for the $1/gallon sale... and then get a 40 ;)

I found a Marineland 20 gallon kit on sale. Nice filter, LED lights, heater, most of the rest was just ok, but I figure I saved $30-$40 over buying new piecemeal. Thanks again for all the feedback! Will start a thread for this one soon!

Ok. Here we are day one fishless cycle. 20 gallon with Marineland 150 Penguin filter with biowheel. 100 watt heater set to 80 degrees. There is an LED light panel but no specific info about it except it says it can grow plants. I'm wondering if anyone can tell by looking if I could do medium light plants or just stick with low? I've Primed, added a raw shrimp in hose, a touch of flake food, and shook out my lovely nasty filter from my 5g inside the new one for a few minutes. I've got my API master kit, how long should things marinate before I check levels? Thanks up front for pointers :)

Attachments

• 1394417350559.jpg
    1394417350559.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 68
The light panel.

Attachments

• 1394418354128.jpg
    1394418354128.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 55
Looks like the marineland single bright, in a 20 tall it's probably good for low light plants, if you want to "put it to the test" get a shorter foreground plant like narrow leaf chain sword and see how it does??

Thanks Brookster. Can I add them now or wait until cycled?

Plants love a good cycle ! Nomnomnom amonia is good!! (For plants anyways) not feesh;)

Ok. I need assistance. Good bacteria bloom going but, today I get home and the room stinks sooooo bad I think for sure my ammonia is 4ppm. Its 1.....maybe. 0 nitrite 5-10 trates and ph is 8.0 as always. Temp is 82. Is this shrimp thing necessary? Its foul. And the tank is in my master :/ I used filter media from my other tank and read you can pretty much instantly cycle a new tank that way. Is that true? I'm just wanting to know if I need to do a pwc, or should I wait for a bigger ammonia spike? And should I put the raw shrimp back in? Sorry for the bad lighting in the pics. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 1394498953118.jpg
    1394498953118.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 58
  • 1394498966971.jpg
    1394498966971.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 52
I could use another inch of sand too I'm thinking.

Trying one more time. Help please ^^^^^^

Guess I will just use this thread for my own record then and depend on Google. Today's readings after 50% wc. Ammonia 0.5 trites 0 trates 5. Going to plant the tank today.

Today. Gonna go driftwood hunting. So far, Java fern, one anubias, dwarf hairgrass,ludwigia, and moss balls. Ferts, API root tabs with iron, and added API leaf zone food to the tank. Water test today pre 50% wc ammonia 1-2 nitrite 0 trates 10. Needs more.....
jajahyra.jpg
ve3amy7e.jpg
vevesamu.jpg

Attachments

• 1394637975132.jpg
    1394637975132.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 39
You might have better luck getting answers if you open a new thread with a title to match the threads purpose. I think a lot of people stopped watching the thread once you got your answer on which tank is recommended. Starting up a build thread where you can post your progress and ask questions will likely get more answers :)

Back
Top Bottom