Tank has unidentified illness.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 56g has an illness that spread through the fish rapidly, strange white lesions that killed the fish in a matter of a couple days. Ive never had an issue before that wasnt brought on by new fish, These fish have been in the same tank for at least a year, so I dont know where it came from. But my question is, how long should I quarantine the tank and what should I treat it with before putting new fish into it? Ive changed 25% of the water, cleaned and boiled what equipment I could, etc.

So I picked up a 'all in one' type treatment for the tank since I really dont know what the problem was. But still, does anyone have an idea about how long I should let the tank sit before adding new fish?

Is that white spots fluffy looking or do they look like grains of salt? What type of fish died? Did you do anything else to the tank recently? I know you said you had the fish for a year or so already.

It was not grains of salt, Ive seen a lot of different afflictions from back when I didnt know much and even dealt with some parasites I couldnt identify when I was keeping local fish I caught a few years back by using a dip. The fish dont react well to dips Ive learned, but its better than dead. Anyway, this took the fish in a couple days, Ive done nothing but water changes and feed them for the past year or so. The fish were large goldfish, a black moor, a fancy, and a regular ol goldfish that was originally a feeder but wouldnt get eaten. The spots were large, encompasing perhaps 2 square inches of the fish in places. It wasnt fluffy, cotton-like, etc. just flat leisions. The fish were fine one day, I was gone the next, the day after I noticed them and was going to head to the store to get something to help with it and did a water change and added salt since I could do nothing else and it was late. The next day they were dead. This stuff even covered the black moors eyes and back across the gill covers. The fins looked eaten, I just dont understand the rate at which the fish died. Like i said, I got a "fix all" broad spectrum drug and overdosed the tank and will tomorow too, as there are no fish to harm, changed some water, cleaned equipment, put a heater in the tank and have it heated to about 90, and Im stumped. Dont know how long I should wait. Even the driftwood seems to have some white spots on it, leading me to think it may be a fungus or something similar. Bottom line is I dunno.

Symptoms:

White spots on mouth, edges of scales, and fins
Cottony growth that eats away at the mouth
Fins disintegrate beginning at the edges
'Saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin
Fungus often invades the affected skin
Rapid gilling in cases where gills are infected
Most Columnaris infections are external, and present first as white or grayish white spots on the head, and around the fins or gills. The lesions may first be seen only as a paler area that lacks the normal shiny appearance. As the lesion progresses it may become yellowish or brownish in color and the area around it may be tinged red.

Lesions on the back often extend down the sides, giving the appearance of a saddle. On the mouth the lesions may look moldy or cottony, and the mouth will become eaten away. Fins will erode and have a frayed appearance as the infection progresses. The gills filaments will disintegrate as the bacteria invade them, and the fish will begin breathing rapidly due to lack of oxygen. Less commonly, the infection will be internal, and display no external symptoms.

Does this sound right???

If so it is probably Columnaris (Flexibacter columnaris)

That's what it sounded like to me. There are no fish left? I would sanitize everything... I'm sorry about your fish

Yep that sounds about like what it was, and yes, no fish are left. I have a big bowl of water now. Thanks for the help Flossie.

Markstanfill said:
Yep that sounds about like what it was, and yes, no fish are left. I have a big bowl of water now. Thanks for the help Flossie.

U are very welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom