tank inhabitants for a 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I'm wondering if this will work.

Tank details :

Tank volume of 38 gallons
External Pump type
Pump output of 300 gallons per hour
heater power of 150 watts

Fish :

6 Young Bronze Corydoras
4 Young Molly
10 Young Neon Tetra
2 Young Pink Kissing Gourami
8 Young Zebra Danio

May I ask why and I was prolly just gonna get 2 dwarf gouramis or maybe 2 different fish that can complete the tank

I'm just concerned because they get big (8-10 inches) and that kissing is actually really aggression, maybe fifty gallons for two to live peacefully together.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Nope, it kinda looks fine in a 38 gallon tank. But be careful with the mollies as they have big bioloads and are super active.

Oh yeah no doubt about that one. I was able to house 3 in a 10g successfully with no problems at all. I love how interactive they are and there will be weekly water changes anyways. I just don't want my neons to get picked on and do you think zebras or giant danios would be best

Okay cool thanks. What can be a good center piece fish that will do well with those besides the dwarf gouramis

Well I'm wondering if this will work.

Tank details :

Tank volume of 38 gallons
External Pump type
Pump output of 300 gallons per hour
heater power of 150 watts

Fish :

6 Young Bronze Corydoras
4 Young Molly
10 Young Neon Tetra
2 Young Pink Kissing Gourami
8 Young Zebra Danio

why Neons and Danios?
Just pick one or the other.
Two schooling fish is a little redundant and crowded for a 38gallon imo.

Also, my concern is the fact you are mixing active fish (mollies, danios) with placid fish (neon tetras, gourami, corydoras)
There is nothing wrong with the setup, but I suggest sticking to fish with the same activity level.

for the mollies/danios group - I would add guppies

for the neons, gourami, corydoras group - you can add 3-5 dwarf gouramis (2 male, 3 female).

just a thought. Good luck.

Bubble_B0y said:
why Neons and Danios?
Just pick one or the other.
Two schooling fish is a little redundant and crowded for a 38gallon imo.

Also, my concern is the fact you are mixing active fish (mollies, danios) with placid fish (neon tetras, gourami, corydoras)
There is nothing wrong with the setup, but I suggest sticking to fish with the same activity level.

for the mollies/danios group - I would add guppies

for the neons, gourami, corydoras group - you can add 3-5 dwarf gouramis (2 male, 3 female).

just a thought. Good luck.

Because those are some of my favorite fish and I know the difference I kept both before

bruinsbro1997 said:
German blue rams, any of the apistos, keyholes, and kribs are the first fish that come to mind.

Those can last in a 38g tank. How many? Like a pair or something and are they aggressive

bruinsbro1997 said:
You could keep them singly or in a pair in a 38 gallon. Keep in mind that they are cichlids so they will be aggressive during a spawn to any fish that come within reach of their eggs.

What about a pair of female gbrs

Because I don't want any aggression in my tank and I don't think they are aggressive unless pregnant

Because I don't want any aggression in my tank and I don't think they are aggressive unless pregnant

Well, not necessarily. For example if you keep two males together they shouldn't be too aggressive, but when you add a female they go haywire and will start competing for her. But I don't think it should be that big of an aggression problem though.

Back
Top Bottom