tank inside the sump for a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been trying to figure out how to add a refugium to my setup. It's a 120-gallon reef with a sump below in the stand. It's an Oceanic sump and while there is some room inside for, say, something 13 inches wide X 15 inches long, I only have clearance of 8 inches between the top rim of the sump and the stand, so any refugium I put in there will have to be smaller than I'd ideally prefer.

Anyway, has anyone put a tank inside their sump and plumbed it to operate as a refugium inside there? If you have any ideas on how to plumb it could you give me a hand on than?

I'd really like to see diagrams and photos IF you have any...THANKS

Can't think of anything similar, as far as actually putting another tank into your sump. Seems like you would end up with a dead water area in your sump is all. Many peeps just use their sump as a refugium.

The problem that I have with doing that is that the sump is an Oceanic sump and it's configured with baffles that keep the water at a height of no more than about 7 or at most 8 inches high (in what I believe is a 55 gallon tank that it's essentially made with.) This is 18 inches high. This would make it difficult to use as a refugium.

Why would you say that putting a tank into this sump would cause a "deat water area"? the water in the sump would continue to have a flow from the return from the overflows over to the right side of the sump where the return pump is.

Back
Top Bottom