Tank Mates! Adding more fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarthGS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in the process of expansion and want to get some feedback on my situation.

I currently have a 30 gallon tank with the following:

1 male Red Zebra mbuna 3-4 inch roughly 8 years old
1 male Auratus (I believe) 1-2 inch; few months old

These fish came with the tank which we got from a friend about a month ago. Apparently, there was a 3rd fish that came with the Auratus, which was another Auratus.

First fish I've ever kept, and the fish keeping hobby bug bit.

I've got a 55 gallon cycling right now and want to add a few fish. Mainly to curb aggression between the two that I currently have. I want to add several males. I am currently leaning towards the following group:

1 of each

Metriaclima Pulpican (Kingsizei)
Yellow Tail Acei
Pundamilia Nyererei
Sulfer head Peacock

I may also get a "Chewere" but that depends on how this all plays out.

Should I add all these fish into the 55 gallon at one time. I was thinking of moving the 2 I currently have to the bigger tank next week and then add the others at once next month.

I'd put 12 Africans in the 55 to curb aggression. Two groups of 6. Or 15 with three groups of 5.

Some people mix all types together. Really it's a bit of an experiment to see how it turns out.

I'd put 12 Africans in the 55 to curb aggression. Two groups of 6. Or 15 with three groups of 5.

Some people mix all types together. Really it's a bit of an experiment to see how it turns out.

Your entire response has gone way over my head!

Would that be a blend of males and females? Don't want the trouble of the fish breeding.

Can you elaborate on the 2 of 6 and 3 of 5...seriously what are you saying here :confused:

I'm not made of money either so getting that many fish next month would be impossible. I can get all of them on the list above and maybe one more male of unknown type.

All males is ok.

12-15 fish. 2 groups of different species. 6 of each species. Or 3 groups of different species. 5 of each species.

If you can't afford more than what you listed then you'll have to roll with it and see what happens.

Most people who keep Africans are constantly trying to curb aggression by overstocking the tank. Not mixing a lot of different species. Removing problem fish and replacing with another fish until a happy medium is met. Then you got other people who mix several different species together and it works. Or they don't overstock and it works.

It's hard to give a definitive answer with Africans because it depends a lot in the specific fish you got and how it gets along with everyone else. There's some guidelines to keeping them however.

When you say species are you talking about the overall type, for example 6 mbunas and 6 peacocks, etc.

Or

Is it more specific, for example 6 red zebra mbunas and 6 yellow tail mbunas, etc.

I think I'm catching on.

Back
Top Bottom