Tank Overhaul...ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, well I suppose this thread could have fit into a couple of categories so I thought I'd stick it in general discussion (but if someone feels the section i chose is inappropriate, please feel free to move it)

I am new to this forum and I posted in my introduction that I will most likely have a 5 gallon tank that I want to COMPLETELY overhaul quite soon. By completely I mean start from scratch, but I was wondering if I could get some general input on ideas for cool things to do in such a small tank.

The one thing i really want to do is make it a planted tank (unless for some reason I am told this is a terrible plan)

Some questions:
What's the best way to get started with a planted tank when starting from scratch?
Can I do a planted tank using an undergravel filter?
I currently use an undergravel filter, should I switch to another kind?
What kind of fish, other than tetras, danios or livebearers (i.e. something a little different) would do well in a 5 gallon? or are those really my best options?

Any suggestions would be MORE than welcome!!!

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Kara

Hi Kara,

Welcome.

I'd check out the planted tank forum for planting suggestions. They're lots of ways to do planted tanks ranging from complex to simple... and which you want depends a lot on the answer to how to do it.

As for undergravel filters and plants. Yes, you can do it. Many people, however, would suggest not as the roots get tangled in the filter and (theoretically at least) it can effect the growth of your plants.

As for fish, to be honest...I definitely wouldn't do danios in a 5 gallon (they like to swim way too much for that small a tank), and a lot of tetras would need more space too.

My thoughts for a 5 gallon:
(a) betta (you could potentially do otos or one of the pygmy corys with them)
(b) a dwarf puffer...I've never had one (although will when it's time to restock my 5 gallon). Supposedly they are amazingly teritorial for their size and may not tolerate any other inhabitants except maybe otos
(c) inverts such as shrimp or maybe an apple snail

I know you said no livebearer...but endler's may be another option for such a small tank--you could just get males to avoid the overpopulation issues.

Good luck!

I was actually thinking about moving my Betta to the 5 gallon, or getting a new really bright betta since he seems happy where he is.

Since I started this thread I also thought of maybe a couple of sparkling gouramis, which i'd forgotten about but i used to have a pair and they're beautiful.

And i did say no live-bearers but I just looked up endler's (had never heard of them) and they are quite beautiful. This is the tank I have in my room, so i do want something nice and colorful!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom