Tank Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so my 20G tank is nearly cycled and once it's done I plan on adding a clownfish! My parameters are:
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77 (I am going to raise it to 80)
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 50

Now, I know these are the parameters that are ideal for a FOWLR tank (with nitrates at 0) but I would like to eventually make it into a reef tank.

I have read lots and lots about what the parameters should be for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phosphate. But they give me ranges. And honestly it's all a little bit confusing reading six different articles that recommend six different things.

I would like to keep a range of corals. Starting with zoanthids and plays, then some SPS, some LPS and eventually, thinking 6 months or more - some anemones.

What corals do you have and what are the ideal parameters you guys like to keep your tanks at?

Sent from my iPhone.

Stability is key with corals. I try to keep my alk and calcium the same all the time. My alk stays around 9ish and my calcium I keep at 420. Mag stays around 1400. I keep mostly sps with zoas and some lps. Phosphate should be below .08 but above 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are there any other parameters you routinely check or does that cover it?

Also, would you be able to keep BTA or other anemones in your tank with those parameters?

It's so much easier hearing what you guys are doing and what is working for you than all this internet research! None of the information I'm finding is consistent. :(

Thank you! Appreciate the reply. :)

Sent from my iPhone.

Nope just those. Alk is IMO the single most important thing to test for. If your alk swings to much it can kill corals. Mag really doesn't change much and until you really get a ton of corals calcium won't really either. However with a small coral load alk can be pretty well controlled through weekly wcs :)

On the nem I'm sure you could. I don't keep nems, not really a fan and my sps are way more valuable lol.

Ok thanks so much!! Appreciate the advice :)

Sent from my iPhone.

50ppm nitrate is a bit high for both fowlr or reef if you have nitrates you prob also have phosphates as they go hand in hand the lower you can keep these the lesser of a chance fore a major algae bloom
you need to bring them down in a fowlr 20ppm is high enough but like anything
0ppm is even better especially in a reef no higher than 10ppm and that's pushing it
bigger water changes lighten up on feedings will help a lot
weekly water changes are important
if your tank is still fairly new no your not ready for a nem tank needs to be mature a year or better
they also require good lighting
water quality needs to be stable nems like pristine water conditions no swings
I wouldn't even suggest SPS at least till you get used to taking care of softies once you can keep softies happy move on to LPS get used to them Than if you really think your up to it SPS
SPS is a lot harder to keep especially if your water conditions are off by a little bit
some people have what it takes to keep SPS some don't
I stay clear as I lost one reef of SPS in the past bribo is SPS king he makes it look easy

I'm nowhere near the point of keeping corals.... Just wanted to know what other people keep their tank parameters at so I can figure out what I need to get there... I plan on stabilizing all my parameters over the next two months before I even attempt corals. I want to be comfortable with it before I take that next step. I stated that I wasn't looking at nems until my tank is much more mature - at least six or seven months. I know my nitrates need to be low but my tank is still only in the final stages of cycling. I have only done one water change so far and at the time of posting I had stated I had no fish in my tank so feedings really aren't an issue yet. I have 10 freshwater tanks running right now so I know how to keep my basic parameters. I don't mean to be rude but I don't think you really read my question.

I do thank you for the suggestion of starting with softies first - I will do that. Then I will work my way onto other corals. Are there any softies you suggest? I'm just running regular fluorescent lights right now and I know I have to upgrade them first.

I'm ordering a 120w Dimmable LED between now and Christmas - I don't want to leave the pet sitter to look after corals while I'm away for Christmas.

Thanks ?

Sent from my iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom