Tank questions & showing off :).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've grown alot of plants in my life time. All sorts of plants. ALL sorts of plants lol. That's why I'm really interested in doing a planted tank.

You made my green thumb look brown all the sudden! I love plants but realky got into it with tanks. Ive never had a forest in a tank yet! I plan to eventually but you know how things go. Itll be tomorrow probably! Haha! My wife would kill me. This betta cost 50 $ for everything. I walked in expecting to spend maybe 15 bucks but, I needed the good stuff!

I've grown alot of plants in my life time. All sorts of plants. ALL sorts of plants lol. That's why I'm really interested in doing a planted tank.

ALL sorts of plants, eh? Lol. I am a plant killer. My only success has been with a cactus. And by success I mean it took a couple years to die.

Haha! So no planted tanks for you?

I keep trying. I had some success until I needed to move the light and hood from one 10 to another. Once I get more hoods I plan on trying again. I sacrificed my plants for breeding bettas.

I keep trying. I had some success until I needed to move the light and hood from one 10 to another. Once I get more hoods I plan on trying again. I sacrificed my plants for breeding bettas.

Yeah I would have kept the plants! Ive never tried betta breeding. It may be fun. I wanna find an all white female and breed this new guy I got with her

ALL sorts of plants, eh? Lol. I am a plant killer. My only success has been with a cactus. And by success I mean it took a couple years to die.

Some that produce food, some that produce flowers, from vines to TREES (some that are frowned upon) lol. . I've grown a lot of different plants. I'd say plants were my first hobby. Then animals. I've just never grown aquatic plants. So I really want to try :).

"& by success I mean it took a couple years to die".

Greatest line I've heard all day lol. Literally made me laugh out loud!!!!!

Some that produce food, some that produce flowers, from vines to TREES (some that are frowned upon) lol. . I've grown a lot of different plants. I'd say plants were my first hobby. Then animals. I've just never grown aquatic plants. So I really want to try :).

"& by success I mean it took a couple years to die".

Greatest line I've heard all day lol. Literally made me laugh out loud!!!!!

Yeah that was pretty funny! Im thinking about convincing my wife to get me a 20long for a planted tank with only this betta. I may return this ghetto 2.5g plastic thing

Yeah that was pretty funny! Im thinking about convincing my wife to get me a 20long for a planted tank with only this betta. I may return this ghetto 2.5g plastic thing

Yeah I can't imagine putting a fish in something less than 10 gallons. Regardless if they will be okay. It just seems kind of cruel to me.

That would be cool!!! :). & I just thought if this but you would have a 36 & a 20. I have a 46 & a 10. They both come out to 56 gallons lol. Weird thought :p

Look at Craigslist for one. I'm sure you can find one cheap

Yeah I can't imagine putting a fish in something less than 10 gallons. Regardless if they will be okay. It just seems kind of cruel to me.

That would be cool!!! :). & I just thought if this but you would have a 36 & a 20. I have a 46 & a 10. They both come out to 56 gallons lol. Weird thought :p

Look at Craigslist for one. I'm sure you can find one cheap

Craigslist here is a bust. People think their 10 year old aquariums are gold. "Just because you paid 500 doesnt mean you should as 1k just because it comes with goldfish lady!" That was a recent conversation with a craigslist dummy!

Thanks, guys! Yeah, that little cactus just kind of hung on for a couple years and then rotted from the inside out somehow. I had a mint plant that did well in college, until I forgot to bring it home with me over christmas break, too. Funny thing is, for a while my parents ran a nursery, and my mom has this patio full of nice plants now. Some of which are 10+ years old. And I can't make a cactus thrive. The green thumb is obviously not genetic.

Thanks, guys! Yeah, that little cactus just kind of hung on for a couple years and then rotted from the inside out somehow. I had a mint plant that did well in college, until I forgot to bring it home with me over christmas break, too. Funny thing is, for a while my parents ran a nursery, and my mom has this patio full of nice plants now. Some of which are 10+ years old. And I can't make a cactus thrive. The green thumb is obviously not genetic.

Nooooo. It was just a needy cactus! Or it got a parasite

It actually came from Mexico. My uncle brought it back to me when he went to visit his family in Chihuahua, Mexico. Maybe it was just pining for the old country. Err... cactusing.

hha. It's definitely not genetic. My parents can't keep plants alive either :p. I'm just passionate about them. It's amazing how you can take a seed & turn it into food for your family. I don't understand why more people don't do it? But anyways, plants are amazing. They benefit us so much. (As you can tell. Passionate.) lol.

Ohh you guys would be happy to know, I am now the new owner of 9 meal worm beetles :). 3 more look like they might come tonight. I'm finishing up there homes right now. Added a layer of screen beneath the beetle home so when they lay eggs the eggs will fall into the next chamber. :).

hha. It's definitely not genetic. My parents can't keep plants alive either :p. I'm just passionate about them. It's amazing how you can take a seed & turn it into food for your family. I don't understand why more people don't do it? But anyways, plants are amazing. They benefit us so much. (As you can tell. Passionate.) lol.

Ohh you guys would be happy to know, I am now the new owner of 9 meal worm beetles :). 3 more look like they might come tonight. I'm finishing up there homes right now. Added a layer of screen beneath the beetle home so when they lay eggs the eggs will fall into the next chamber. :).

How are yours hatching to beetles? This is what I have 20 in but not really doing much. Thats a big 12.7qt tupperware.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_172605.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_172605.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 44
How are yours hatching to beetles? This is what I have 20 in but not really doing much. Thats a big 12.7qt tupperware.

I use apples to :) & carrots.

But what will happen is after a while little pupas will show up at the top of your oats, you'll take those out & separate them.(no care needed at this point. Just patience) Then after a while they will hatch into beetles. The beetles will then lay eggs, & the eggs or either the little bettles that hatched up top, will fall through the screen into the worm chamber where they will stay until they become pupas.

There is a mealworm pupa, & a superworm pupa. Look at that size difference. Wow! Lol.

Next picture is the containers I house them in with a few extra perks written on top to scare my friends lol.

Attachments

• image-3685584992.jpg
    image-3685584992.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1776130426.jpg
    image-1776130426.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 65
Also, I'm such a bad fish keeper for barely noticing this.

I was looking closely at my plecos. Turns out, one of then is a bristle nose pleco. :). The other is a common one. I had two different kinds. I noticed this because the bristles are starting to get longer on it.

Back
Top Bottom