Tank seems empty, what to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OoooooHhhhh.... I don't see that happening soon :/, my parents are stressed enough as is with my new tank x). So the best way to handle current situation is just keep the tank at 81?

82-84 is best for GBRs. I have a 55g in my room that I bought a couple of days ago and my mom hasn't found out yet. XD

Lol, live aquaria is so off, it says 72-79*! Anyhow, it is about 82, my thermometer goes up in 2's and it's right about there. My tetras seem fine, and I think I'll just add to the school of neons and corys!

Wait, hatchetfish would do OK right? They can handle temps to 82, correct?

Darn. Stuck between hatchetfish and angels - AGAIN xD... Would angels eat my neons? I've read rummy's get too big for angels to munch on.

Some angels will eat/attack neons, some don't. It varies by personality. It helps if they're raised together.

I'll try to find some peaceful ones. My LFS is pretty nice, got some pretty helpful employees who actually know what they are doing :)

If you get them smaller and they grow up with the neons you should be fine. Near me the price of a full grown angelfish is ridiculous while a 3in one is a 5th of the price.

If you get them smaller and they grow up with the neons you should be fine. Near me the price of a full grown angelfish is ridiculous while a 3in one is a 5th of the price.

It's nice because they actually let me haggle the price a bit. Sometimes they'll say "wait, that's wrong" smear the price, re-write it, and give it to me a bit cheaper. It's nice because the owner is usually working the register. Very clean, never any dead fish.

Could I get a breeding pair of angels? Assuming the aggression isn't a problem, I do have a spare 10 gal (as stated before) I also have a sponge filter running in my main 45 (with the GBR and whatnot), for almost 2 months so I'm assuming it's seeded, and I could use it to instant cycle my 10g. This would work, correct? Also, would I be able to raise angel fry with GBR fry?

Oh wow, the employees at my LPS are uneducated and I usually never ask then anything. Both hatchets and angelfish are cool. I Couldn't decide so I got both.

Yes you could get a breeding a pair of angels in your 45g tank. I have one but they formed naturally while in my tank. I wouldn't worry about fry any time soon as my angels have laid eggs four times and every time they disappear on day two.

Just be aware that breeding angels are far more likely to attack their tank mates. Hormones and protective instincts make them even more unpredictable than normal. They could be fine and mellow, or they could decide that NO ONE is allowed in their territory and kill anyone who dares trespass. It's not really possible to guess ahead of time.

Temperaments will range from angel, but my angels usually just chase away the other fish that come near their laying spot. They will full on attach any other angelfish that swims near tho. So makes sure you only add two angels.(pair)

Hm I think I'll try my luck with a single angel. I just realized I need my tetras as dither fish :/

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 60 with only 6 Zebra Danios, 8 Black Neons and a 2" Common Pleco. I did just come out of my cycle about a week ago, so I didn't want to add too much at once. I was thinking of getting 2 GBR once the tank is more established, but I'm glad I found this and learned that their temp needs to be higher.

What about 2 Gouramis, or maybe 2 Dwarf Gouramis?

I also think 2 small Angels would look great in the tank as a centerpiece. Just get juvenile Angels and you should be fine with the Neons.

Back
Top Bottom