tank size for 3 neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abfab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 20 gallon tank with 3 neon tetras. I no longer have time to maintain the tank (eg water changes) so I want to move them into something smaller that is easier to manage. What is the minimum tank size they require?

I want to say 5 gallons but they will be better in a bigger group 5+ which will need a 10 gallon.

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Neons should be kept in groups of 6+ but 10 is ideal.. maybe you could trade them in for a betta in a 5 gal? Much less maintenance required..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Neons should be kept in groups of 6+ but 10 is ideal.. maybe you could trade them in for a betta in a 5 gal? Much less maintenance required..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'm going to agree with brookster. The time for water changes in a 10g vs a 20g should be no more than 5 minutes a week. If you're having a hard time with a 10 minute process weekly then fewer water changes are the answer. Id say just keep the 20 and do a 25% water change every other week. Trade out the tetras for a single betta. It'll take quite a while for harmful things to build up.

Going smaller will be harder to maintain than the 20. The water changes will be even more often. :-/

Sent from my iPhone

I'm going to agree with brookster. The time for water changes in a 10g vs a 20g should be no more than 5 minutes a week. If you're having a hard time with a 10 minute process weekly then fewer water changes are the answer. Id say just keep the 20 and do a 25% water change every other week. Trade out the tetras for a single betta. It'll take quite a while for harmful things to build up.

I agree with this. Neons need to be in schools of 6+ and are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry. If you don't have the time to do weekly water changes, a hardier fish like betta is the way to go.

I would say a 10g tank is your minimum. Larger groups will often do better with more space and some people prefer a 20g as the minimum. 5g really is too small for these guys.
I also agree that a 10g tank is virtually no easier to maintain than a 20g tank though. :/ I don't think you will be gaining much if time is your issue. Considering you have such little stock in there, you can do smaller pwc. If you get a smaller tank, you would be back to more pwc. But, it is fine if you want a smaller tank. I just don't suggest going below 10g.

The larger the tank the easier it is. 10 gallon would be ideal as people have said and add more of them.

Smaller tank = more crap building up quicker so you'll need to do more water changes. Keeping them in the 20 as opposed to a 10 you can actually do a much smaller water change :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or get a ton of plants...
Even a couple, I would make sure you have enough lighting and then maybe get some java fern

Going smaller will be harder to maintain than the 20. The water changes will be even more often. :-/

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah IMO getting a smaller tank would be stupid, your going to spend the money on a 10 gallon and then still have all the same issues.

Curious what are you doing for water changes? I have seen every thing from 10-80% changes, I would see you having issues trying to do 80% changes a week I would say like others have said that a 25% change every other week would be fine for 3 neons in a 20 gallon.

Couple ideas

1. Plants like have been mentions will absorb nitrates or an algae scrubber however, other stuff builds up in the water and its a good idea to still do water changes/gravel vac.

2. You could get a HUGE canister like a large Aquatop, Sunsun, Marineland C-530 or 2 Cobalt EXT's or something as long as it has a flow adjustment (you might have to point the output right at a wall to disperse the flow). Now the reason for this isn't that you can go without changing the water because you have a large filter it's because something like this has like a 2g capacity so if you emptied and filled it BOOM 10% water change.

2.5. another thing about some canisters is there is a drain at the bottom or you can use them to pump water out of your tank, still the old fashioned way of filling it up tho.

3. Python or Aqueon water changer

Back
Top Bottom