Tank size for single male Paradise fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enchantress

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
Would a single male paradise fish (Macropodus ssp.) be comfortable in a ~10gal aquarium (about 40 litres)? Or is it too cramped? I've never kept these fish before, I don't know their activity level or how much space they need. He would be the only fish there, no tank mates.

I've never kept one, but I just read on 3 different sites that a single male needs a 20g. So prob something in the range of 70-75 liters. Seems big for a 5.5cm fish, lol

I've never kept one, but I just read on 3 different sites that a single male needs a 20g. So prob something in the range of 70-75 liters.
Yeah that's also what I read, plus some other conflicting opinions, so I wanted to make sure...

I do find it a bit odd that they say 20gal is the minimum for a single paradise fish, but then for one giant betta (which grows to approximately the same size, maybe a little smaller) 10gal is the minimum. Similar size, but apparently one needs twice as much space as the other. I mean... Do they differ that much in terms of activity level?

Back
Top Bottom