Tank Stocking Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwkwardGiraffe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Allo people of the Internet! I have a 3.5 gallon half-moon fish tank with a nerite snail (very lonely he is) and want to actually start stocking... I plan to get a dwarf anubias (I have driftwood to attach too don't worry) and plan to get a marimo moss ball and perhaps som dwarf Val. This tank is heated and filtered so I'm wondering what the possibilities are.

You could get a male betta. My favorite varieties are rose, and plakat halfmoon.

OR

Very possibly you could get a couple of nano fish. But I don't know of any non-schoolers.

OR

Maybe a tank like your could be a shrimp tank. Cherry and Amano shrimp are the more popular varieties.

That's just some ideas. I'd scratch the nano fish unless someone else knows of any non-schoolers.

You can have a bunch of shrimp. Basically as many as you want because their bioload is so small. I heard somewhere 10 shrimp per gallon of water.

If I do start a shrimp tank at one point of time I would want a CRS, I'll probably get one or two once I'm used to shrimp (I had a ghost shrimp once). Does the same rules apply to them as RCS and the Amanos? Or do you think I shouldn't get any at all?

I know crystal red shrimp are a lot harder to care for than cherries and ghost shrimp. I only have the latter two myself, so I can't tell you much. But that's what I've read

Well does anyone know the answer to my questions?

If you could get the shrimp when they are not small. I think you could have a male betta and some shrimp. Because if the shrimp are small enough to fit in the bettas mouth that's where they will end up :)

I think the ones with bigger fins are generally slower because they have to drag around all that weight. But slow does not necessarily mean calm/non-aggressive. I'm not aware of any correlation between beta types and aggression.

If I do start a shrimp tank at one point of time I would want a CRS, I'll probably get one or two once I'm used to shrimp (I had a ghost shrimp once). Does the same rules apply to them as RCS and the Amanos? Or do you think I shouldn't get any at all?

I would definitely not get CRS if you are new to shrimp as they require more specific care than the prolific and hardy RCS. They also tend to do better in tanks a bit bigger as it's easier to control water params when you have greater volume. Some higher grade cherries would be nice, but I'd be careful if you get a betta. I'd say in most cases they end up a snack unless you get an extremely docile one. The ones that survive would probably just hide most of the time anyway. But you could try some cheap cherries with a betta just to see what happens too. Plenty of plant/moss cover would certainly help.

Im having a inner fight if I want to have a betta or some shrimp. I've want to try out shrimp, but I've been a betta girl since the beginning 0-o One day I'm going to get a 10-20 gallon and have a community tank or betta soroity tank XD

I think the ones with bigger fins are generally slower because they have to drag around all that weight. But slow does not necessarily mean calm/non-aggressive. I'm not aware of any correlation between beta types and aggression.

I know slow doesn't technically mean non-aggressive, its just that if I do get a betta with shrimp and he sees the shrimp I don't want him to be faster than the shrimp...

Back
Top Bottom