Tank Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquanoobie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of getting a 17g (63L) tank ready. I know I want a Betta in there so I am trying to decide on a stocking plan around that. I want to run my list past all the experts to see what you think.

1. Betta
2. Panda Corydoras Catfish
3. School of White Cloud Mountain Minnows (8)
4. Ghost Shrimp (2)

That is a total of 10 fish and 2 shrimp. I plan to have the tank pretty well populated with silk plants and a centerpiece of driftwood. I am also planning on introducing the fish in the order listed one week apart. The tank will be lit 10 hours a day and filtered with a Fluval U2 filter. Let me know what you think.

The betta will be hit and miss. It'll depend on the betta; some just don't tolerate other tank mates. I'd add the betta last though; if you add it first it will establish the tank as it's territory and will likely be more aggressive to the other fish. Also you may want to read up on cycling prior to adding fish. This link explains it a bit: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks library girl. I am planning on doing a fishless cycle and have found the referenced article very helpful. I live in Germany and finding ammonia here has been a bit of a challenge so I ordered some from the States. Great point on adding the Beta last, I will defiantly do that. I really appreciate this forum it has been so helpful. My local store has Betas in with other fish, I am assuming this is good for me because I can see how the fish react to each other. I am also assuming that I am looking for a Betta that has other fish near it without becoming aggressive. I won't even be considering adding a Betta for two months so I have plenty of time to learn.

Back
Top Bottom