Tank too small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is a 1 and a half gallon tall tank too small for two dwarf puffers?

One DP needs at least 5 gallons. Also, when you have multiple DPs in a tank, make sure they are not the same sex. 1 male to every 2 females.

One DP needs at least 5 gallons. Also, when you have multiple DPs in a tank, make sure they are not the same sex. 1 male to every 2 females.

Well they're aggressive towards one of my fish so I'm gonna put the white cloud that had nipped Fin in the small tank an let his Fins grow while the tank cycle and then put the dps in there until I get a five gallon, my other tank is twenty. And idk if theyre males because they're juveniles

Small Tanks

Is a 1 and a half gallon tall tank too small for two dwarf puffers?

Hello Alec...

If this will be your first tank, then get at least a 20 gallon. 30 gallons would be even better. That's what I started with when I got serious about the hobby. There will be enough water, so the inhabitants will be able to survive your "learning curve".

With the possible exception of Loaches, that rarely move, you don't want to keep even small fish in small quarters. It would be like keeping your dog or cat in the bathroom all the time.

Leave the tiny tanks until much later when you have some experience keeping the water chemistry stable.

Just a thought, though.

B

Can you please explain the entire tank situation (all sizes and current inhabitants and issues) to us? Then we will be able to give you better advice about how to proceed.
In general, I would say that a 1.5g tank sounds too small for 2 dp.

I have 2 black mollies, one white cloud mountain, 2 dwarf puffs, two bumblebee gobies, one green tiger barb, one Kuhli loach, one Chinese algae eater, and two frogs, sunset platy and a fancy tailed guppy.

I am going to be honest with you, you are going to have even more issues with that stock as those fish grow. Dp and bbg (assuming you have the fw bbg and not the brack bbg) can both be very nippy in communities. They would likely do ok in their own 10g tank though.
IME, 20g is not enough space for a CAE in the long run. They get decently sized, and typically turn pretty aggressive. That aggression is heightened in smaller spaces.
Your one tiger barb is also a potential nipper and would likely do better in a bigger school so the barbs can all just focus on each other.
If you can get a second tank to move the dp and bbg into, I would just get that thing cycled asap. Normally, I would suggest just doing a fish-in cycle, but I am not sure that would be good for dp.
As for putting the white cloud in the 1g to recover, could you get a 5g bucket or something like that? He would get it dirty less quickly because there would be more water volume.

I am going to be honest with you, you are going to have even more issues with that stock as those fish grow. Dp and bbg (assuming you have the fw bbg and not the brack bbg) can both be very nippy in communities. They would likely do ok in their own 10g tank though.
IME, 20g is not enough space for a CAE in the long run. They get decently sized, and typically turn pretty aggressive. That aggression is heightened in smaller spaces.
Your one tiger barb is also a potential nipper and would likely do better in a bigger school so the barbs can all just focus on each other.
If you can get a second tank to move the dp and bbg into, I would just get that thing cycled asap. Normally, I would suggest just doing a fish-in cycle, but I am not sure that would be good for dp.
As for putting the white cloud in the 1g to recover, could you get a 5g bucket or something like that? He would get it dirty less quickly because there would be more water volume.

I am going to get a much bigger tank eventually but I'm trying to get a job first. And the white cloud lived in that one gallon tank for six years so it's good I'm just going to have him recover then move the dps to a five gallon or ten

I am going to get a much bigger tank eventually but I'm trying to get a job first. And the white cloud lived in that one gallon tank for six years so it's good I'm just going to have him recover then move the dps to a five gallon or ten

Good luck. If you can, keep an eye on Craigslist and garage sales for tanks. You can find some good deals, especially on smallish tanks.

Back
Top Bottom