Tank Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
My frog was in major need of an update from his three point five gallon. So I took as much gravel as possible from my Betta tank, still leaving plenty of bacteria for him, and switched the filters for a quick cycle. I also have a new apple snail that will be going in with the ACF. He big enough that the frog can't eat him, and the frog ignores him so far. I'm more worried about the snail than the frog, which is why I'm posting in freshwater instead of amphibians.

So here's my question: Can I put the frog and snail in while it has seed material because of the present bacteria from the seed material? Will this hurt them? I want to move the frog as soon as possible because of the small size of the current tank.

I'm attaching pics of the new tank just for fun.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Attachments

• image-3047110020.jpg
    image-3047110020.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image-600679127.jpg
    image-600679127.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 55
My frog was in major need of an update from his three point five gallon. So I took as much gravel as possible from my Betta tank, still leaving plenty of bacteria for him, and switched the filters for a quick cycle. I also have a new apple snail that will be going in with the ACF. He big enough that the frog can't eat him, and the frog ignores him so far. I'm more worried about the snail than the frog, which is why I'm posting in freshwater instead of amphibians.

So here's my question: Can I put the frog and snail in while it has seed material because of the present bacteria from the seed material? Will this hurt them? I want to move the frog as soon as possible because of the small size of the current tank.

I'm attaching pics of the new tank just for fun.

The seed material shouldn't hurt them. But you may experience a mini-cycle. I would just be mindful of your ammonia and Nitrite levels and take action accordingly.

Okay. Should I wait a couple days? I can't wait too long, because the frog is in too small of a tank, Newbie mistake.

Drip acclimation is usually best if possible. But if not floating and adding tank water every so often.

Do as jenatron suggested and then take frequent ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Keep the ammonia under .25ppm with water changes whenever necessary.

Viper said:
Do as jenatron suggested and then take frequent ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Keep the ammonia under .25ppm with water changes whenever necessary.

Okay. Thanks. I'll have to figure out what I can put them in for Acclimation. I'm putting the snail in first, is this okay?

So the snail finished acclimating and is in the tank now. The frog, oh my. He jumped out of the net, as he has once before. We had to chase him with the net for a minute before we were able to catch him. Now he is acclimating, and I'm keeping a VERY close eye on him. 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom