Tank weights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just wondering at what size of aquarium do you worry about whether or not your floor will be able to handle the weight?

Depends on the stabilty [construction] of the building. Also where the tank is situated. The floor is stronger along an outside wall. Longer tanks are more stable than an extra high. Lets say your 55 Gallon standard weighs an extreme 700 pounds. A standard 55 is 4 feet long. You have 3 friends. Would the 4 of you, each weighing 175 lbs, be afraid to stand next to each other, or do you think your floor would give way? Probably pretty safe. What size tank are you curious about?

75 is the same length and height as a 55. It's just 5 inches deeper (sits 5 inches out further from the wall). You've got these things to consider. The weight of the empty tank and stand. 1 gallon of water is about 8.3 lbs. 55 or 75 pounds of gravel, plus your decor, filters, etc. How old is the place it's going in? I would think most anyplace would support either of those tanks, unless the place is extremely old, or has an extremely uneven or creaky floor.

You figure water + decorations/gravel is around 10lb/gallon. I believe you should run larger larger tanks across the floor joists, being supported by as many as possible.

I think you'llbe safe unless your house is very old.
Set it up on a load bering wall and it shoul be good to go.
My 180gal. hasent went through my floor yet and it is at about 2500lbs.
Altho I did have to go under my house and support the floor joists.

Yeah, I'm with everybody else on this one. Floors nowadays are made (or are supposed to) to be able to support ALOT of weight. As long as the place that you are thinking of putting it isn't old, doesn't have a creaky floor, and the obvious things, you should be fine.

Ditto the above - straddling floor joists and placing it against a load-bearing wall should be all you need, provided your stand is adequate for the job.

Back
Top Bottom