Tankmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alankevis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help on suggesting what fish I am getting next.

My tank is 90 gallons and the current fishes are:

• 7 x Tiger Barbs
  • 3 x Angel Fishes
  • 5 x Comet Gold Fish (just for look since they were so cheap)
  • 1 x Black Convict Cihnlid
  • 1 x Blue Gourami
  • 1 x Silver tipped Shark

The question is I'm planning to get at least 6 Glofish in the near future. I do feel I should get another black convict and blue gourami. What do you guys think?

I hate to say this but you need to remove the goldifish as they are coldwater fish, very messy, excrete a lot of ammonia, and are not compatible with troptical fish. Also the 3 angels are not a good choice as the tiger barbs and others in the tank are prone to nipping and harassing angels.

As for adding other stock you need to look into other semi aggressive fish. I wouldn't add any glowfish with that stock personally.

if you want some glofish get the glow barbs instead of the tiger barbs they are much smaller im planning on setting up a half glow tank with some danios, green pink and orange skirt tetras, glow barbs and for the non glow fish some black skirt tetras some longfin zebra danios and a couple bristlenose plecos that will be a 55 gallon with normal light during the day and a 48 inch black light on the wall behind the tank to make them glow at night. there are a few different colors of the glow barbs that you could mix and match to make it look cool. and they just came out with the pink and the orange skirt tetra you can mix colors with any of these fish my sis has a 10 gallon glow tank that i sold her, it was too childish for me id rather have them glowing only at night and have actual lights but it looks great in her bar are you planning on getting a glowlight or blacklight? or do you just want the bright colors?

I'm planning to release those gold fishes as well. However, you got me worried about the angel fish there. THey been together in the tank for couple weeks and they seem fine. The tiger barbs are really small comparing to the angel. Do you think it would be ok or they will eventually get big and nip the angel?

Also I should mention, all those fishes are really small size. The biggest one would be the comet lol

The silver tipped shark will need saltwater down the road. I would advise adding yoyo loaches and maybe a fire mouth cichlid

So yall think 1 x Black Convict is enough? And another Firemouth ? Does it prefer to be in pair? I kinda do too :)

Don't just release the goldfish. Take them to someone with a pond. Never release non native fish into our waterways.

If you have a large enough school of tiger barbs, I'd say a minimum of 8 at least, they will often keep aggression within their own ranks. But you will have to monitor them and the angels. When fish are young they tend to be more mellow. As the tigers mature their aggression levels increase and that is when you can have issues. It may or may not work.

Back
Top Bottom