Tankmates for BB gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gal brackish tank (salinity at 1.008) with 6 bumblebee gobies. I would like to know if there are any other brackish fish (or fish that would handle some salt) that would not eat these little guys. I am not really a molly fan, either. Any suggestions?

Knight gobies and figure 8 are the only other light brackish fish i can think of

Pseudomugil signifer would do well. Even better (and smaller) is Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis. Both of these are Australian, so don't occur with Brachygobius. There are a number of small gobies you might consider - such as species of Redigobius, Pandaka, Pseudogobius and Mugilogobius. Other species to consider include glassfishes (be careful you get brackish rather than freshwater species), half beaks, and certain killifishes.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
Pseudomugil signifer would do well. Even better (and smaller) is Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis. Both of these are Australian, so don't occur with Brachygobius. There are a number of small gobies you might consider - such as species of Redigobius, Pandaka, Pseudogobius and Mugilogobius. Other species to consider include glassfishes (be careful you get brackish rather than freshwater species), half beaks, and certain killifishes.

Tony

Most of those fishes are rare in the states. The only fish i have seen on that list is the half beak. Maybe a killifish a few times as well.

Good list though.

Bumblebee gobies are territorial so other gobies might not be your best option.

You may have some luck acclimating Amano Shrimp to brackish. They have been known to tolerate salt very well

Thanks for the help. I have been doing some research, and right now I am considering the glass fish (I've read that Parambassis ranga are brackish) and Celebes Rainbowfish (Marosatherina ladigesi). I'm having a hard time finding the glass fish online, so I may have to go with something else. I'm glad some of these options I haven't heard of, so I will look them up! I'm not a fan of knight gobies... I'm not sure why.

You may have some luck acclimating Amano Shrimp to brackish. They have been known to tolerate salt very well

Would this process be done with a bucket and drip acclimation over the course of a few hours? Or would I need a complete set up with a filter and the whole nine yards? I have never tried to acclimate a freshwater fish to brackish...

I had a figure 8 puffer, 7 bumblebees, flounder and a mudskipper in a 29 gallon. There were also two nerites with a bunch of ghost shrimp. I enjoyed the flounder a lot. Get a puffer they are fun.

I had a figure 8 puffer, 7 bumblebees, flounder and a mudskipper in a 29 gallon. There were also two nerites with a bunch of ghost shrimp. I enjoyed the flounder a lot. Get a puffer they are fun.

I have heard that puffers are nippers and may eat the bumblebees. It's good to see you've had success. I have also heard that nerites don't do well with any salt. What kind of flounder did you have?

TheMurrays said:
I have heard that puffers are nippers and may eat the bumblebees. It's good to see you've had success. I have also heard that nerites don't do well with any salt. What kind of flounder did you have?

Nerite snails actually need salt to breed. They lay egs in fresh to low brackish streams and their larva flow out to the ocean my nerites loved my tank and thrived. Figure 8s are your best bet and if you decide on a puffer. If you get them young they will know that bumble bees are not food. Plus bumble bee gobies are slightly aggressive so the stick up for them selves. I do not know my species of flounder but be was not bothered by anyone in the tank. Sometimes the BBG's would be on top of him and he would not mind. Puffers are very personable. They will watch you just as much as you watch them. BBG's fight with each other but should be kept in groups. The fighting is territorial and the don't do harm to each other. It more of get off my lawn this is my property then a bar fight with them. My next set up it going to be 75+ gallons so I can have monos, mudskippers, 1-2 f8s, 1-2 floundef and a bunch of BBGs. If you have the room I'd say a violet/ dragon goby considering they are filter feeders and can not even swallow a BBG. Good luck with your brackish tank.
This is advice to everyone to always check your heater and update it as much as possible because I regret it everyday.

Back
Top Bottom