Tannins how long are you going to last!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack sort

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I have two pieces of driftwood in my tank that have been there for over two months. Before I added them to my tank I kept them in a bucket of water and would boil them everyday. I figured that was plenty of time and added them to my tank, but two days later I had tea water. I used activated carbon to remove the color and it worked great. The other day I bought an Aquaclrar filter which had a carbon pack in it so I removed the carbon from my other filter and three days later, tea water. I quickly removed the carbon that came with the filter and replaced it with some new API activated carbon. The next day the tea color was gone but now my water is cloudy. I tested the water and everything is great, does anyone have any ideas as to why running a second and better filter is screwing up my previously pristine water?

Hey mate.
I had the same problem with my tank.
I now use seachem purigen instead of carbon in my tank and it is crystal clear. I put it in the filter and it works great.
Here are a few pics.

image-2567385946.jpg

image-1564553384.jpg

I would say skip the carbon and go with purigen. As to why your dw is still leaching that's harder. My best guess would be that maybe you have more water flow that is agitating the water more around the dw. The cloudy water is most likely a bacterial bloom that will clear all on it's own in a few days.

The cloudy water could be a bacteria bloom which will disappear by itself and its a good thing.

If never had problems with wood leeching into my water as i soak for at least a week. I cant say how long it will last but i wouldnt think very long.

Question... instead of using carbon in the floss type filters on your HOB... I can just put the purigen in them instead right ?? Will that work or do I need to put the purigen in something else ?? My 55g has a huge piece of driftwood and the tank is extremely murky... getting tired of it... I wish it was clear...

Question... instead of using carbon in the floss type filters on your HOB... I can just put the purigen in them instead right ?? Will that work or do I need to put the purigen in something else ?? My 55g has a huge piece of driftwood and the tank is extremely murky... getting tired of it... I wish it was clear...

Purigen needs to be in a fine mesh bag. They sell 100ml bags ready to go that are convenient for HOBs

Thanks for the feed back everyone. I can handle a bacteria bloom, I'll just wait it out. i've never had that before so I wasn't sure what was going on. I think I'll pick up some Purigen too. Richi was kind of fish is that with the purple belly?

I just want to put an update on.. I purchased 2 100ml purigen bags from petco (petsmart doesn't sell this stuff) and I put 1 bag in my penguin 350 filter and waited 24 hours and the tank was still really dark and murky but the bag was already getting brown.. I took it out and soaked in bleach and put the other bag in and another 24 hours later the tank is really noticeably clearer.. Its still murky but way way better.. I have a a lot of tannins in my tank because I have such a large piece of driftwood in my 55g.. and this stuff really does help.... WOW.. Im considering getting 2 more bags for my 27g and 30g... but those tanks are pretty much crystal clear so I don't think I need to go that far lol..

Only reason why I took the first bag out and bleached it to regenerate it was because I wasn't sure how "Dark brown" the bag is suppose to get before its exhausted so I took it out after it got pretty tan brown.. But I think exhaustion means when its like poop brown lol.. I got 2 bags though so I can regen 1 and keep another in the tank without the tannins getting an edge back in the back while I wait 24 hours for the 1 bag to regenerate

Ok it's been a week and my water is still cloudy. I still need to pick up some Purigen but I don't think that will clear up all the cloudiness. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I've done water changes and even moved around my decor to get rid of any fish waste that was under it.

Ok it's been a week and my water is still cloudy. I still need to pick up some Purigen but I don't think that will clear up all the cloudiness. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I've done water changes and even moved around my decor to get rid of any fish waste that was under it.

What size tank, filter and pwc do you do?
What stock do you have and what kind of substrate?
Is it just cloudiness now, or are there still tannins? Filter floss will help remove particulate matter suspended in the water column, but filtration rate needs to be adequate.

What size tank, filter and pwc do you do? What stock do you have and what kind of substrate? Is it just cloudiness now, or are there still tannins? Filter floss will help remove particulate matter suspended in the water column, but filtration rate needs to be adequate.

The tank is 30 gal with the Aqueon filter that came with it and a Aquaclear 50. I do at the very least a 25% wc every week, more I if I have to. I have a sand bottom with the following fish:

Rainbow Cichlids
Synodontus Multipunctatus
4 Red/Blue Columbian Tetras
German Blue Ram Cichlid
Dwarf Blue Gourami
2 Platy's
1 mystery snail
3 Nerite snails

The tannins went away when I threw away the crappy carbon that came with the Aquaclear filter and replaced it with my usual stuff.

I'd say your filtration simply isn't adequate for managing the bioload of that tank. Can you stick a 2nd filter on it? How many cichlids do you have. That sure is an interesting mix of fish you have there!

he's got about 350 gph of filtration with the two filters. did you change all of the media at once? that is what causes bacterial blooms and spikes in ammonia/nitrite. what kind of driftwood are you using?

I'd say your filtration simply isn't adequate for managing the bioload of that tank. Can you stick a 2nd filter on it? How many cichlids do you have. That sure is an interesting mix of fish you have there!

I am running both filters on it. I actually added the Aquaclear filter two weeks ago and that is when all the trouble began. Prior to that my water was real clear. I only have the two Cichlids in there, all the fish get along great, only the Platy's bully each other.

he's got about 350 gph of filtration with the two filters. did you change all of the media at once? that is what causes bacterial blooms and spikes in ammonia/nitrite. what kind of driftwood are you using?

I didn't change any of the media, I only added the new filter. The water chemistry is perfect just cloudy. I'm not sure what kind of driftwood it is, got it at a really good local fish store.

I am running both filters on it. I actually added the Aquaclear filter two weeks ago and that is when all the trouble began. Prior to that my water was real clear. I only have the two Cichlids in there, all the fish get along great, only the Platy's bully each other.

Wish my cichlids would get along :banghead:
Sorry misread your post and thought you just had the 50. I think its got to be coincidence- you added the 2nd filter at a time when the water quality was already beginning to deteriorate. Do you rinse your floss regularly? I don't actually bother rinsing mine, as my tanks are established and have plenty of biological media, so I regularly chuck my floss out. Keeps the water clear and nitrates down.
The only thing I can think is that your setup requires weekly 50% pwc. But if your test results are zero for ammo and trites, and your trAtes are acceptable, then I'd go with floss and purigen and see what happens.

Fwiw, wood may continue to leach for, possibly, years. I have wood that is still leaching, after 19 months and extensive soaking first. It does depend on a few factors; species of the wood, age, how long it was soaked before use. Boiling can help move a lot more tannins out faster, but there is a limit to how long you can cook the wood. Heat causes some softening of the fibres, so extreme cooking might shorten the life of piece in the tank, possibly. I doubt many of us have the patience or time to overcook wood though :).

I now use bleach when I soak wood, as it seems to help remove more tannins faster, but it will also, I must warn you, lighten the wood. Only the surface layers, and it can be sanded off if you don't care for it, but that's more work too. It will always be much darker looking in water than it might look when dry. Bleached wood can look quite white when dried out, but it looks fine to me in the tank. It shows nerite eggs less obviously, which is nice, since I have a number of them.

I have wood that I soaked for upward of three months in a bucket with regular water changes, that still leaches in my tanks a year later. Mopani wood, a common one to find in stores, which is both light and dark in colour, appears to leach a LOT. Dark brown wood, very heavy, often called Malaysian driftwood, also still leaching over a year later, just less as time goes on.

With time the colour of the leachate weakens, so you stop getting tea water and it's more yellow. It lightens with each water change, and continues to get weaker as time goes by. I have yet to find out when it stops, but I'm at 19 months with the first pieces I used now. Since there are younger pieces in with them, it's impossible to say which ones are contributing the most colour but I find I don't mind the yellowish tint. It's clear and clean, that's what I care about most.

Good to know that my driftwood isn't the only one leaching tannins months later. I added a makeshift filter today using a pump, filter floss, and a water bottle. Hopefully that will help clear up the water.

Back
Top Bottom