Tannins Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Mate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I bought my first piece of driftwood for our 55L tank. Following advice online and from the shop, I've left the wood to soak and am doing regular water changes.

So far it's been soaking for 6/7 hours and I've done two water changes. Both times it was completely clear. Does anyone know how long it would take for the tannins to start to emerge?

Thanks!

Just depends on the size of the drift wood. I would imagine you won't see any tannins if you keep doing water changes though. You'll definitely notice your filter changing to a brown color, but I wouldn't worry much about it. It's going to be inevitable the coloration to show up and apparently good for your fish.

Thanks. Should have added that it's soaking in a bucket, so haven't had a chance to see a change in filter media colour.

Bought it dry from Pets at Home. Its about 1.5 feet and reasonably heavy

Bit of a daft question coming up, but why would you soak for buoyancy? Don't you want the wood to sink?

Forgive the potential ignorance, but still relatively new to the hobby!

After you add the driftwood to your tank seachem Purigen will take the tannins out. I use the 100ml size, it comes in a bag, and I use it instead of carbon.

Back
Top Bottom