Tap water contains 1ppm Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just out of curiosity did a read up of my tap's ammonia, it came out to 1ppm. Before I would always use my RO unit for water but since I don't keep SW anymore I took it out. I also just realized my Amm. in my main tank is .5ppm. At first I thought this was because of a stocking spike but since it hasn't gone down I'm starting to worry. Do I need to put my RO unit back in? (pita) Tank's been established for 6months. 3 months ago it was reading 0 amm, 0 nitrites, 14 nitrates. Heck a few weeks ago it was 0-0-10 now i've gone all the way up to .5-0-10. PWC's are making the amount even higher...

Ammonia test was manufactured this year. Reads 0 on distilled. I think it's time to buy some more RO membranes...

Yah, I know about it, which makes me doubly worried. 84F 7.8ph So I'm in trouble. I'm not sure if i'm using a salicylate test though.

EDIT: I am using a salicylate so it's not measuring bond NH3. Gonna have to go buy some Ammonia Chips then and then install my RO unit.

Yah, I know about it, which makes me doubly worried. 84F 7.8ph So I'm in trouble. I'm not sure if i'm using a salicylate test though.
Salicylate is the two reagent test kit, the Nessler is one reagent.
EDIT: Missed your edit.

Wait a minute... As I understand it, you want to using a Salicylate test, regardless as to whether or not using a NH3 detoxifier.

Actually this is the first time I've done a test after a pwc. I always did them just prior. I think i'll give it a few days and see if my bacteria will process it. I mean, they should be used to being dosed by 1ppm water by now.

Yeah, but meanwhile your fish are probably quite uncomfortable.
Hmmmm... Even if the BB do take of business in a day, no more than two, I'd add Amquel Plus at PWCs.

Just went to the local petsmart (Literally half a mile away) and picked up a bottle of Top Fin Ammonia remover. I can't use Amquel+, it removes nitrates which I need there to be a readable amount of in my tank for my plants. And I already don't have any readable nitrites so no point in killing the N-cycle in my tank.
Thanks for the help.

And an update: Ammonia has stabilized to .25-.5ppm in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom