tap water filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What can i use to remove copper from my tap water? I only need to remove copper because i have copper pipe. maybe remove chlorine in the same time if its cost efficient.

Is there copper in your water? Or are you just worried about trace amounts getting in your water directly from your pipes?

They all do basically the same thing. just research the different manufacturers, and see which one meets your needs. The unit you choose should produce the number of gallons of RO water that you need per day. Some need different pressure to work, and some require different temperature water on the input side. Just have to check them all out(y)

You are not getting copper from your pipes into your tank. The copper forms a protective patina. Otherwise, if enough copper could leach from the pipes into your water, copper wouldn't last for 100 years.

BTW, I've had shrimp before and I've got copper pipes in my house.

I agree with HooKoo, the copper getting into your water is negligible. I too had copper pipes (nearly the entire 110 year old house) and kept shrimp for my entire childhood (and the tanks are still going with the same water back home). While I can't tell you what the issue is, I'll make a bet that it's not copper from your piping.

Right , so i should continue buying shrimp every week to replace the death ones. Make no sense. I am thinking that shrimp will never be able to live here. some people don't even use dechlorinater, and have better results then me.

Are you on well or city water? For city water, you can just go to the office and have them print you off a report of your water. I agree that the copper is most likely in too small of amounts. I believe pool companies can test a water sample for more detailed compounds than what we have in a regular test kit. I may be wrong though.

Or you could find a bored chemistry student that's interning and have them test your water out for you. haha

If i may guess . Something is bad in my water . Shrimp don't dye for no reason. Even when i transfers them in a other aquarium , i have the same results . In any case, i am sticking with lots of fish that can clean moss and clean grass.

Perhaps they are not getting enough calcium and other trace minerals in the water/ in their diet.

You know what , here in Canada they have ph and that about it. No real test results that you can get your hands on. Its more secret then they fbi . Its like if they did test it but don't keep a record of it.

I am going to try to get the results from water supply of the city directly to they filtering plan. Maybe there someone how know.

Get a cuttlebone, they sell them at pet stores with the bird supplies. Just break it and put a piece in your filter or under some decorations. It will add calcium to the water. Or, the next time you cook some eggs, clean the shells very very well, pull the membrane off them, then bake them for a little while to kill any bacteria, then crush it and add it to your substrate. Or you could use the supplements available in the fish store for marine aquariums. Just get a calcium test kit too.

What is the pH of your water out of your tap and what kind of shrimp are you trying to keep alive that keep dying on you? Copper can come from the pipes in small amounts, but that is only when the water is very acidic. Otherwise the copper will not be an issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom