TB.? :/ hopefully not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheldon.Winters

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Basically I think my tank has tb, I'm hoping to be advised what else it could be and or some good treatments.

Set up:

10 gal eclipse1, heated with aprx. 15 watt/gal and an air pump

Fluval substrate mixed with coloured gravel (I know it's weird but the gf thinks it looks neat and it's cheaper that all fluval)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396837435.843192.jpg

Water parameters:

PH - 6.0
NH3 - 0 mg/L
NO2 - 0.1 mg/L
NO3 – 20 mg/L
Temp. 28 C

Current Fish:

4 danios, 2 platys, 1 guppy

Current Problem:

After euthanizing a molly whos bent spine was impeding swimming to the point where there wasn’t enough coordination to eat and in an all around rough shape (gasping for air, ect.) there is a danio showing similar symptoms, gasping for air, slight bent back, drooped tail, lethargic ect. Back at the pet store one of the other mollies we wanted in an adjacent tank was dead but this was a weekish after my molly had ich, also a few weeks after purchase.

This is what the Molly looked like in the net (not my fish tho)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396837561.350275.jpg

This is the danio, bend in back is minimal.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396837612.273109.jpg

Time line:

Mid to late February I picked up the tank (gf’s b-day present) to set it up (with the used filter to introduce good bacteria) and plant it on the weekend, adding fish on the Sunday of that weekend using fluval biological enhancer. We picked up 3 danios 1 molly and 1 guppy. I know, we got a lil excited but water parameters didn’t get to crazy during the trio of cycling methods. Mid week an NO2 spike was seen (0.8 mg/L) with NO3 staring and NH3 at 0 mg/L. at the next weekend NH3 and NO2 were at 0 mg/L and NH3 was at 20 mg/L staying stable Sunday where we added 2 platys and 1 (very orange) “pink” danio.

Next weekend NO2 and NO3 spiked and at 1.6 and 110 mg/L that were under controll by the next weekend water changes every other day and adding 2 new plants. The cambomba berserk when added and I had to take a bunch out and trim it (looked way better when it was over grown but I couldn’t see my corsair and it took away lots of swimming room). After that I rocked bi weekly water changes until a few weeks ago, I’m gona stager the mid week water as needed. (I don’t think I was finished cycling, I was and still am overstocked and the addition of the second fishies may have had another mini cycle… there for it got a lil crazy)

Shortly after I added the cambomba, grew much bigger.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396837899.009531.jpg
Prob looked the best here

After things got stabilized again the Dalmatian sailfin molly got ich which I caught late because it was camouflaged in the colour. I noticed because it took off the bottom little sail bit of his tail fin. Bumped up the heat and added salt and an air pump as well as changed food from aqueon flakes “daily nutrition for all tropical fish” to nutrafin max “live breader flakes+freeze dried tubifex worms” (because of the garlic in the nutrafin).

Ich passed after a week ish and I put that to the fluctuation in water quality. After that passed the molly was swimming like it was drunk staying at the bottom with a nose up attitude to keep off the bottom and heavy breathing with a slightly bent back with (much like the danio is now) I put this to swim bladder and tried to feed some peas in a breeder basket but that didn’t change a thing leading me to eventually think tb as the bent spine has gotten much worse over a few weeks of stable parameters till eventually it was unbearable to witness leading to an icy bath and a flush just a few days ago as no one else was showing signs of any illness except the 3 danios are looking old. Leading to now.

If your still reading by now thank you and I hope there is potential good news

Just wanted to give you everything in hopes for good news sry for lengthy post.

Water changes are big to, just under 45%ish time it takes to do a good vacuum

I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you, just want to lend support.

your fish probably don't have TB. It's really really rare. Anything is possible, but it is quite rare. I wish I knew though :(

Just a quick note as late here but a ph of 6 is getting low for live bearers and also nitrifying bacteria to do well.

Sheldon, fish TB is communicable to humans.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/

Until you know what the fish have exercise extreme caution and sterilize everything you use. Soak in Hydrogen peroxide or bleach ( if bleach rinse with super conditioned water). Throw old water down toilet, not sink, and squirt some bleach spray around inside of toilet bowl. Never use your mouth to start the syphon. Wear disposable gloves without powder or addatives.

Like the other poster said, it might not be TB, but with skeletal deformities it is definitely a suspect disease.

Call around at vet schools, and see if they will analyze any dead fish. The vet school at University of Conn. analyzed a tick for me to see if it had lyme's disease. If the vet school does such a service, they will give you very specific instructions how to preserve the fish for their analysis. So, you need to call before you euthanize. ( Even your local board of health might offer this service. It's just a culture and slide prep & test from what I read. )

Edited this post to add this link on fish TB:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/tbc.php

Ya I'm being super careful with the tank now but wasn't before I suspected tb, being a guy who usually has nicks and cuts on my hands prob already happened but I feel fantastic. Part of the reason I suspect/hope it's not tb... we'll that and it's uber rare. But thanks for the input, I'll just listen to some snoop dog and let that lil homey get his c-walk on... And take it from there.

I think I may have it. Gill rot or disease or what ever.

Reasons:
Gasping for air
Swimming hard ish and not really getting any where
And the danios have a ill bit of grey discolouration. (would have been hard to see in a Dalmatian Molly)

It wasn't the bent back that kept her from eating she was just super hypoxic and couldn't figure it out. This would explain why that classy lady seamed so drunk.At least she was super euphoric when she went... Oops.

I shall treat and let you know how things go.

Ok so I'm treating for flukes with thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396917619.793633.jpg

Also picked up thus if it's gill disease. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396917705.911769.jpg

1 then the other depending on out come, and as for as the filter goes done. Could I float the filter cartridge in the tank to cure it as well because I don't really wanna toss a good filter just seems like a waste

Yesterday the lil guy was still breathing heavy but schooling better and today the rapid breathing is down and looking positive. Going to add the second douse of general cure and leave it that... I kinda feel like house right now.

And I realized floating it filter cartridge won't really do much so I didn't.

Put I the second dose of general cure in yesterday and things are drastically better. Going to add some prime to help deal with probable bad water quality with not having a filter.

We'll make shift filter... I just shoved a bunch of stuffing from a fluffed animal in where the cartridge goes and put a lil bio booster on it to hopefully seed good bacteria. Still got a bunch of the stuff might as well use it.

Ok so breathing and stuff is back up. Things are still slightly better than originally but I think I'm gona go ahead and do the second treatment in a couple of days.

So I didn't do the other treatment because things looked promising all day yesterday and all clear today. Yay!!!!

Back
Top Bottom