Tea tree oil to repair fins and scales faster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had to isolate my Lwanda and Lemon Jake because they've been hounding each other for weeks and BOTH are being messed up by the Red Top Lwanda who's boss of the tank.

Their fins are all pretty badly beaten and the Lwanda has some scale and lip damage. He's also developing a strangely contorted (kind of undulating) body perhaps from the stress?

Anyway, I've read that Melafix is just tea tree oil and I happen to have pure doTerra essential oils in the house. Can anybody recommend a dosage for fin repair? Also, they're isolated within the same tank, so what meds they get everyone gets.

For stuff like that, I'd just make sure you keep the water very clean and everything should heal fine on its own. That's all I make sure I do when my fish get fin or body damage. If you feel the need to add anything, I'd just add some aquarium salt.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had to isolate my Lwanda and Lemon Jake because they've been hounding each other for weeks and BOTH are being messed up by the Red Top Lwanda who's boss of the tank.

Their fins are all pretty badly beaten and the Lwanda has some scale and lip damage. He's also developing a strangely contorted (kind of undulating) body perhaps from the stress?

Anyway, I've read that Melafix is just tea tree oil and I happen to have pure doTerra essential oils in the house. Can anybody recommend a dosage for fin repair? Also, they're isolated within the same tank, so what meds they get everyone gets.

Melafix also has emulsifiers added to make sure the oil mixes into the water and is a specific type of tea tree oil. I couldn't recommend it.

Lots of water changes, good diet and check your temperature, I would stay away from meds, they'll heal in time.

What about my temperature? It's currently 82.4, which is higher than the heaters are set for (heaters are at 79. House is 77). If I keep the lid open with a fan nearby I can keep it down to 80 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lots of water changes, good diet and check your temperature, I would stay away from meds, they'll heal in time.

This is how I solve any problem in my tank. if I see something that don't look right or the fish are acting strange I kick the temp up a little and do 50% water changes every 2 days for a week then twice the second week and back to weekly. It has always worked for me and stopped what ever was causing the problem. Luck Maybe but its worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom