Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's cool.
I reckon my GBRs are one of those couples were it just isn't working out but they're dependent on each other. Some days they're happy as Larry together and when the lights are off they're fine. Most days the male just picks on the female actually considering taking one of them back.

My only pair have spawned a few times but the eggs never get fertilized which makes me sometimes think I've got two females but the more dominant one chases the other and I can't tell its sex properly

If you post a pic I can identify them or when I get home I'll take a pic of mine because the differences are significant.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The two easiest ways to sex are the that the female will have a bright pink belly and the male will have its third spike higher than the rest.

If you post a pic I can identify them or when I get home I'll take a pic of mine because the differences are significant.

It's been awhile since you've been on here!

Fishobsessed7

Females also have more pointy heads. And males bottom fin is extended. Elephants pictures are very typical male/female.

Oh, I took those pics of my fish seconds before posting. I guess I have typical males/and females. My other pair must be typical as well.

Oh, I took those pics of my fish seconds before posting. I guess I have typical males/and females. My other pair must be typical as well.

Sadly with the genetics of these fish, what can be used to sex wild caught fish, is completely different than tank bred fish.

You see I originally thought I had two females but then they spawned and I was like hell I must have a m/f pair. I got them when they were really young.

This one I'm pretty sure is female has a longer second dorsal Ray and often I see a very defined pink belly. Also more dominant fish in the tank.
View attachment 259136

This is the one I'm confused over
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419300154.511580.jpg as you can see she is fairly washed out which I'm is usual when the lights are on. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419300255.368943.jpg

I'm seriously starting to think that I have two females. I'm going away for a week so I'm not prepared to do any fish exchanges with my lfs. Also it's not my most local one...probably the furthest store I go to....

Sadly with the genetics of these fish, what can be used to sex wild caught fish, is completely different than tank bred fish.

A sure way to sex them is by looking at thier breeding tubes. (Not sure If that's the correct term).

Guess I'll see if I can exchange one of them with the store. They wanted to sell me Angels once and I said no and they said I could bring them back when they got to big but I didn't want to do that because you get attached to the guys.

Should I exchange the agro dominant one or the other one?

Guess I'll see if I can exchange one of them with the store. They wanted to sell me Angels once and I said no and they said I could bring them back when they got to big but I didn't want to do that because you get attached to the guys.

Should I exchange the agro dominant one or the other one?

The one in question looks like a male. If you could get a good picture of the head shape, that may confirm it.

Back
Top Bottom