Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It means they are less stressed than the fish who actually have it, thus the more stressed fish are a more suitable host for the parasite.

Slime coat production is based off of two things, it can either be stimulated to grow via a hormone or waterborne irritant. It is produced by specialized cells scattered throughout the epidermis. Just as a little piece of info, that is actually how aquarium salt "boosts slime coat." Since it has no know hormonal properties, it actually stresses the fish to improve it.

As for their thoughts to their owners, there still seems to be no evidence that fish can exhibit complex emotions. They still seem to have very wild instincts, driven by their stomachs. My fish do react to certain things, like me walking up to the tank, me opening and closing the tank stand, etc. because they know that results in food. However there doesn't seem to be any other bond between the fish and the fishkeeper. Some people "pet" larger fish such as Oscars, however that is more for the sake of the person, to feel like they are bonding more with their fish.

Wow!! You really know your stuff! Are you some fisholigist or something bud? Or simply knowledge gained from years of experience?

Wow!! You really know your stuff! Are you some fisholigist or something bud? Or simply knowledge gained from years of experience?

Haha, not a fishologist - I've gained a bit from experience, having kept fish since I was 6, but back then I didn't do too much research ;) It's mainly been the last few years that I've really started learning.

Gonna start a store any time soon?

I've seriously thought about it numerous times. The conclusion that I've come to is that by the time I get the money for an LLC, EIN, all the permits, etc. etc. (it'll be several hundred dollars) I'll only be a year or two away from going off to college. So by the time I get it all set up, I'll only be able to have it running for like a year. My goal is to just actively be selling on ebay, aquabid, other forums, etc. and save the actual web business for after college. I do plan on expanding from where I am, though.

This is random, but who all breeds fish on here?

I do some, I'm planning on doing more in the future though. I'm currently breeding yellow tiger endlers, and I have several juvie apisto cacatuoides "triple red" that I'm letting pair up. On Monday I'm getting a shipment of furcata rainbows that I'm hoping to breed, and I'm eventually going to get some black angels and panda corys that I am going to try to rear fry from as well. Also, a little while longer down the road, I'm planning on setting up two 10g's, one for least killifish and one for everglades pygmy sunfish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom