Tell me about Golden Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well 1 of the 4 was breathing heavy last night and has passed on this morning... :(

Ya I am really bad for that... I've yet to return a fish to a fish store.

It's your $$$
Plus, it makes the staff aware of problems--whether or not they choose to do anything about it :roll:

I am torn on this guy.... I am sure he was stressed from the move from the store to home.. the other 3 look good.. Of course in 3 weeks I could be saying "remember when I tried those rams"

I am absolutely going to take a water sample in and have a chat with someone about the rams. Just not sure about the whole body thing..

I can't be sure when I will get there.. Do I put the body in the baggie in the freezer for when I can make it to the store? I am pretty sure that if I do that the rest of the people that live in my house will no longer support my hobby... :)

We just stick them in the fridge (less body damage--you don't want ice crystals to form) in a baggie. You can place the baggie in a non-see-thru-container and label it "webmoose's: DO NOT TOUCH" or "Dad's: DO NOT TOUCH"
The longest a fish has sat in the fridge is a week (I was ill and in no shape to argue with the employees and I didn't trust my fiance to do it).

One coke and 1 set of Ram n Chips pls....
....no, i dont want the amano salad today.

LOL

:D :D :D

Well Menagerie you will be proud of me.. I went and returned the fish and got a replacement. I took my water sample in and had it tested and of course it was fine.

So I am back up to 4 rams.. ya!!!

I am really happy I got them. They are super cool!

I already have to hide the 'bloodworms' in a bag because I know they would freak everyone in my house out. I am the crazy guy with all the hobbies.. (3 telescopes as well. My true MTS is Multiple Telescope syndrome)

After searching n asking around several lfs for female ram for past few weeks, today 1 lfs finally admit that the all fish farm only willing to provide lfs with male one as the farm want to prevent aquarist to breed their own ram. :( :( :(

According the lfs, its sort of unwritten rule for every ram farm in M'sia...

Talks about monopoly .....

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Wow, no females get out at all?? Do you have a local aquarium society around? Some of the guys in the aquarium society around here directly import wild caught fish to breed locally.

Moose, I am proud of you!! You did the right thing by bringing back the little body.

vega.. I will mail you a female (just kidding) That is crazy! Careful looking and asking about the female rams or the farmers might come looking for you!

Fish Farmer says "Hey why are you asking all these questions about female rams?"

Should I keep the lights off the tank for a few days so these guys don't get stressed out?

My QT tank doesn't have lights and the kitchen has lots of windows, so the fish are not in the dark during the day. It's personal preference--for you, I don't think the fish will care :wink:

So the 4 are looking good.. I got a tiny clay planter that one of them adopted... I will have to move it over when I move them over.. haha

Well I am back down to three.. So I did not replace the fourth a second time. I am going to leave it at 3 and see what happens with them and hope for the best for the 3 that I have.

WHAT is going on over there?!? If your water parameters are fine, and I'll bet my crumby graduate student stipend that they are, you should take back the fish!!
I was just at Pisces today returning a couple of deceased fish. I got replacement fish and looked around. There was a tank full of dead and dieing bumble bee gobies~I was horrified. The guy I was talking to said they came in like that. I don't doubt, now that I know how they are shipped. My search for gobies is far from over :(

Back to your fish problem--there's still plenty of rams at the LFS. You are owed a healthy fish :D

Ya I've decide to take it a step back. Slow down and do the monitor thing for a bit.

I did tear out some things from the tanks (not the 8gallon hex). (removing any variables) Did water tests again and everything is stable/unchanged.

If I return the ram it might be for food or just a credit while I wait.

I was wondering if bringing a single ram home would be more stressful to it than bringing it in as a group of 4 like I originally did.

Both rams that died were breathing really heavy.. Purhaps I did not have enough hiding spots... I thought I did...

Honestly, the only variable was the fish. I learned so much last weekend during the Calgary Aquarium Society home tour (which included a aquarium life wholesaler) about how fish are packed to be shipped and various stressors~it's amazing any of the fish that get sent up here make it!!
If you are unsure, return the little guy for credit and watch the rest.

Back
Top Bottom