Tell me about Golden Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The three that are left are looking really good. I am hopeful that they have settled in. They are eating well and seem to have found places that they are comfortable in.

I got the credit instead of getting another one at this time.. I really want these guys to do well.. :) I am totally getting drawn back towards the chiclid type fish with these guys.. I had convicts when I kept fishes many years ago.

newcomers: 1 new golden ram / 4 panda tetras
:?:
Where did these come from??
Cute pics of the rams and rainbows.
I was at Pisces yesterday returning something and managed to walk out with only three fish. Trevor is such a push over :roll: Now, I am up to 8 Badis (time for a new tank--shhhhhhhhhh :wink:) and I got another female betta.

They were birthday presents. I got the panda for my daughter and walked out with the fourth ram all from Pisces. When I was getting the panda's I was talking to the guy about how the 4th ram had not worked out (he was the guy that originally sold me the 4 rams) and he and I spent some time getting a strong looking specimen from the same tanks as the first three I got. He was taking his best guess at a female even though chances are they are all males..

I was a tanks on my b-day as well and he had wild caught rams and long fin rams. He had females but had them held for his good customers.. :) I passed on his wild rams cuz he had got them in the day I was there. Plus I've read that the wild caught ones can be much more assertive. I am not sure what the ones that I got from Pisces. I can assume all male farm rams.. haha.. (time will tell)

Hey what time is it in Malaysia? Shouldn't you be in bed? :) I say I take a vacation and you and I go visit a ram farm and get you a female ram.. :)

Tanks was busy considering it was mid-day. They rams have taken to eating with everyone else very actively. They actually push the rainbows out of the way that are twice as large as them.

They also decided to start eating the wafers I put in for my cories! :) They are like puppies at a bowl all sharing a wafer. Every once in a while one of them steals it and swims off but for the most part they all share.

My 4 ram's are doing great. I am so glad I got them thanks all for the info and encouragement. They seem like they are growing right before my eyes.. hehe..

ya I turned down the lighting so they would venture out to the front of the tank so the quality isn't super:

http://www3.telus.net/public/webmoose/rams/

The top and bottom fins are getting quite long.

(no new ones sinces these ones.. I will try to get some more if they don't play camera shy)

Dang,

This thread is like the energizer bunny.

My golden rams look nothing what so ever like yours. Moose yours look more like a color morph or juvie German Blue (Microgeophagus ramirezi).

All the golden rams I have seen or kept have a yellow head that fades to a blueish belly and tail, colors becoming more electrifying as they reach adulthood. With a long smooth flowing dorsal fin. I've never seen a golden with the black spots on thier body, characteristic of German Blue's. I've also never seen Golden Rams with the mohawk spiked dorsal fin, which is also charecteristic of Germans as well. Juvie German Blues generally don't have much color, with only a few markings. Sometimes they are dull yellow, gray, silverish. As they grow older and hormones start racing, thier colors really start to blossum.

For the life of me, I can't find the scientific name for Golden Rams. Which makes my opinion and observations pretty much useless to anyone that reads this :oops: . However, the pics of your fish have picqued my curousity. I'll try and dig up a scientific name and some pics of the two species and report back.

A new twist in the never ending thread. Join us again tomorrow for another exciting episode of " As The Ram's Swim" :twisted:

OK,

I trolled around and found the sci name for Golden Rams (Papiliochromis ramirezi).

As much as I hate to. I'm going to direct you to another forum ( I really don't like doing this, but I'm pressed for time and it gives a great photo distinction on one page between the two). Take a look at these pics between Germans and Goldens on "The Krib".

Notice the "electric fading yellow to blue color" and long flowing dorsel fin of the Golden VS the "mohawk" dorsal fin and black spots on the body of the German's.

http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-ramirezi.html

Again, sorry to reference another site, but in the end all of us are interested in one thing. The keeping of aquariums. HTH

I still can't tell the difference between Germans and Bolivians. All I know is there are two rams in my community tank. They will never reproduce, they are just pretty. Moose, when you decide what your fish are let us know. Another place to look is the www.cichlid-forum.com . Sometimes AA, just isn't enough :D

ok so I might not have "Gold Rams" but I have rams that are gold colored right now.. :) Think they will change color as they mature? Maybe I can make a more definative decision then.. The back fin is definately not thin like the bottom pic.

I think they were originally marked as golden but then they dropped that and just went with the "Microgeophagus ramirezi" on the side of the tank. Maybe someone that is a ram expert came in and corrected them.

I am kinda thinking the same as Menagerie. I have 4 rams.. :)

Just so I fully understand, Menagerie why did you say yours will never reproduce?

Mooooose

As far as I can tell, they are both males. For a long time I thought one was a female, due to less color, but I don't think so any more. Plus the brightly colored one has a crook in his tail--bad genetics :( They used to be buddy-buddy all the time. Now that they are in the 50 gal, they don't pay much attention to each other. They've been with me for 1 1/2 years :D

That makes sense.. :) One of mine has totally adopted a flower pot and a small space around it.. Makes me laugh every time he goes in there to go to bed.. :)

Back
Top Bottom