Tell me everything about Apisto Baenschi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Went to the AFC Cichlid Conference in Vichy to ooh and ah at the pretty fish :) and walked out with a beautiful little pair of young Apisto Baenschi (approx 4-5 months old).

So I know the basics from my general reading on Apistos, but if anyone can enlighten me on any of the particularities of A. Baenschi itself that I should know, I would be much obliged.

I have attached a picture of their new home. They were actually in there when I took the pictures, but they were busy exploring the hiding places and basically avoiding the paparazzi.

They seem to like their new home and the male seems to be quite the character. He has even found his "man cave" and basically most of the tank is HIS. Despite this, he does seem attached to the Mrs.

Some specific questions :

Driftwood :The breeder told me that they would feel at home with some driftwood. Is there any type that is better? I know it is likely to lower pH -- so would this be a bad thing to do now that they are acclimated?

Food : The only thing I have for the moment is TetraCichlid Mini Granules. Is this even appropriate given their age? What else would you recommend as supplemental? I think I read somewhere that they can eat spinach? If so, like HOW (cooked? tiny raw pieces??) And as they get older, will I need to change what I feed them?

And for an all-time stupid question : I know they feed pretty much off the bottom, but do they actually need to see the food fall, or will they find it on their own?

The breeder was really great, it was just so loud in there that it was hard to ask questions!

Anything else you can add would be great. There is not all that much info on the web for A. Benschi, and much of it not entirely consistent.

Thanks in advance!! :flowers:

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom