Ten gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So recently had a bad storm here in Connecticut last week and lost all but one fish which is a dwarf gourami. I was wondering what type of fish would be good for a small tank with a calm dg. I had neon tetras and Otto cats but now I want some thing different. I know there isn't much to put in a ten gallon so any feed back would be great.

Ember tetras or dadios/orange hatchets would be good. Or maybe a few guppies or platties. Pygmy cories like habrosus would work too.

Sorry to hear about your fish loss.

How about dwarf pencilfish? A small school would work well in a 10 gallon. I haven't had any myself, yet, so I'm not sure how well they'd get along with a dg.

I agree that ember tetras would be great. They like higher temps, so that makes them very compatable with labrynth breathers. :)

There are a lot of rasbora types. I would recommend micro rasboras or chili rasboras for a tank that size, but not harlequins IMO. I think there are some other species out there suitable for a 10g, but I not personally aware of them at this time....

All great ideas. Cardinals, Neons, Pencilfish, Rasboras, Guppies, and dont forget about those inverts. Shrimps, snails, crabs, newts, all those funny little guys.

Only a couple species of pencilfish would work in a 10, also, I wouldn't suggest cardinals. They reach about 2 inches. I only recommend smaller schoolers for a 10g personally.
There are definitely a lot of super cool shrimp out there, but dg often just eat them, so its risky.

You could do hovering zebra loaches. They shoal mid tank and are really cute and fun to watch.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions I starting to really like the pygmy corys I've been doing a tons of research I think they would do the best with the dg. I know they school what would be the best number so they are comfortable

I would go with habrosus. Hastatus and pygmaeus will be so freaked out by a tankmate as large as a DG that you'll never see them. Get 6. If you have to order them, order a couple extra to cover losses you might have.

Back
Top Bottom