test result help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just did a test on my Oscar tank and here are the results.

Ph-8.0
Ammo-.25ppm
No2-5.0ppm
No3- between 20-40ppm

So what's going on here?

Please tell me why pwc asap and its been running over a month and a half, I know I need to do a water change and stock is,

2-3" Oscars
1-12" pleco
1-2" Jack Dempsey

I feed 3 Times a day because of the Oscars being small

Edit** forgot a 5" slider turtle

jwh0818 said:
Please tell me why pwc asap and its been running over a month and a half, I know I need to do a water change and stock is,

2-3" Oscars
1-12" pleco
1-2" Jack Dempsey

I feed 3 Times a day because of the Oscars being small

Edit** forgot a 5" slider turtle

If you have ammonia or nitrite you need to change some water to dilute it. If it where me I would cut back feeding to twice a day and check the water daily. What size tank? And what's your filtration? If its been running 6 weeks it might not be fully cycled yet.

I can't cut back feeding, I only feed what the fish will eat. It's a 110g tank, 51"-21"-25". I will do a water change but what's wrong with my parameters

Ideally, ammonia & nitrite should be zero. Nitrate should be less than 20ppm. Ammonia & nitrite are very toxic to your fish. Water changes are needed to lower these levels.

ashleynicole said:
Ph-8.0
Ammo-.25ppm - THIS IS TOXIC
No2-5.0ppm - THIS IS TOXIC
No3- between 20-40ppm - NOT TOO BAD, WOULD BE BETTER IF IT WAS AROUND 10-20 ppm.

Please read these articles regarding the nitrogen cycle:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I already know about cycling, I was just asking what was wrong with my parameters, I was basically wondering what could have gone wrong. Not trying to sound rude but thanks, ill still read the arrival again because I thinks its a neat article

Sorry I didn't explain. In a cycled healthy tank parameters should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and less than 20ppm of nitrate. If you have readings of ammonia or nitrite your tank is mini cycling. It could be happening for a few reasons. Stock added too fast (the bacteria need time to multiply), over feeding, not enough filtration, the tank is still new and hasn't completed the initial cycle, filter media has been changed removing too many BB (beneficial bacteria), the tank is over stocked or some BB have been killed of for some reason or another.
So what needs to be done is daily testing and PWC until the parameters read 0, 0, >20ppm again.

I already know about cycling, I was just asking what was wrong with my parameters, I was basically wondering what could have gone wrong. Not trying to sound rude but thanks, ill still read the arrival again because I thinks its a neat article

Well you did not specify that in your question, you just asked what is wrong with the parameters and why should you do a water change....

I was just trying to answer the best I could...

You really don't need to feed that often. Twice a day is fine for your fish... once a day would probably be adequate.

I don't know a lot about turtles, but I know they are no longer legal to sell in florida, not sure about the rest of the united states. I also know they have a huge bioload

Have you changed out any filter media or over-agressively cleaned it or rinsed it in tap water? Have you changed out any of your substrate? Any chance of forgetting water conditioner with a pwc? Have your ammonia & nitrite levels been steadily zeroed out before you got these results? If not, your still cycling. Fish-in cycling can take anywhere from 6-8wks or longer.

ashleynicole said:
Well you did not specify that in your question, you just asked what is wrong with the parameters and why should you do a water change....

I was just trying to answer the best I could...

You really don't need to feed that often. Twice a day is fine for your fish... once a day would probably be adequate.

I don't know a lot about turtles, but I know they are no longer legal to sell in florida, not sure about the rest of the united states. I also know they have a huge bioload

Yes I know they do and thanks for the help I know I should have specified

How much water did you change? Have you checked your tap water for nitrites as well? Its going to take a few big (50%+) water changes to get your nitrites lower.

Prime actually does not eliminate ammonia or nitrites- it only converts them to less toxic forms for a period of @24hrs. It also only works up to levels of @2ppm.

Back
Top Bottom