test result help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might just need to suck it up and fill warm buckets of water and haul to refill your tank until you can invest in a water changer or sink adapter. Your fish may die if you don't and then you are losing more money on the fish. Not to mention they are suffering. Yes the ragged fins on your Oscar are most likely a result of infection from stress and bad water quality. The way to fix this is huge large volume water changes.

You could also put the fish in buckets of warm dechlorinated water while you do a large water change and wait for the tank heaters to heat the water.

Or you could remove 50% of the water and then add a small amount at a time , wait for the temp to come back up, add a little more, slowly refilling the tank.

ashleynicole said:
You could also put the fish in buckets of warm dechlorinated water while you do a large water change and wait for the tank heaters to heat the water.

^^^ that's an excellent idea. If you can do this at least once, doing a 100% water change on the tank while the fish are in buckets, it will bring the nitrites down to an acceptable level then you will find it easier to stay on top of them afterwards.

jetajockey said:
At the grocery store, it's just a cheaper alternative to aquarium salt and is the same thing.

Okay I have never used salt before. How much would I use for a 110g tank. I have a turtle so will it hurt my turtle

The only reason for the salt is to reduce nitrite toxicity in the tank while it is going through it's cycling issues. It doesn't take much, I don't use exact amounts when I do this, since it's more of an emergency treatment, but I aim for around 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons of water, which is about half of the amount recommended to treat ich. In that small concentration it shouldn't have any negative effects on the animals in there.

If you are uncomfortable with adding salt, then just start with the large daily water changes to get the nitrite down to nil, it needs to be done anyway to get the numbers under control.

Okay well.I.just tested the tank again after a 50% water change and the levels are still showing 5ppm. I redid the test and again it showed the same thing. What do I do now, my fish seem fine bit what do I do. Is my turtle causing this or what

jwh0818 said:
Okay well.I.just tested the tank again after a 50% water change and the levels are still showing 5ppm. I redid the test and again it showed the same thing. What do I do now, my fish seem fine bit what do I do. Is my turtle causing this or what

The nitrite must be off the charts as jeta said so your in for another large water change to see if you can get it in the readable range. The turtle will be contributing to the waste in the tank. From what I've read they are VERY messy. If you have anywhere else to put him (even just until your tank cycles) that would be best IMO.

jwh0818 said:

If I'm not mistaken , 5ppm is the highest reading, so your nitrite level is probably much much higher. Sounds like your right in the middle of your cycle, the nitrite spike, and it can be the longest part of the cycle as well.
Do this:
Test your tapwater and tell us what the readings are. It could be a bad test kit. Also test some bottled water (which shouldn't have any nitrites).

If the bottled water and tapwater test ok, then you can trust the test and you need to do back to back 50-80% water changes until you get those nitrites down.

If your bottled water and tapwater read nitrites at 5ppm, then you might have a bad test kit.

Oh yes, and the turtle is going to be a huge problem, especially as he grows. And they produce a LOT of ammonia. I think it is usually reccomended to keep them in their own tanks because they will try to eat the fish as they grow. I could be wrong but everyone I know who has turtles keeps them in the own tanks with wet/dry areas so they can go in and out of the water.

Tap has no nitrate no nitrite no ammo and ph is 7.0. I will move the turtle but how are the nitrites this high. It's insane

jwh0818 said:
but how are the nitrites this high. It's insane

You've had 3 people tell you possible reasons why your nitrites are so high. Your tanks only been up a month and a half, you are likely in the midst of a cycle. It can take 8 weeks or longer to fully cycle a tank.... And many factors cam effect this. I has a 55 gallon once that took a good 3 months to get fully cycled, everytime I thought it was cycled id get a nitrite spike.

Make sure you research the compatability of that turtle. I know they need dry land and I think they need UV light also, I am by no means an expert so don't take my word soley.

jwh0818 said:
My turtle has all that. Will plants reduce nitrite

They will a little but not to the extent you need it to be reduced.
The only solution is large frequent water changes. Your tank won't be like this for ever. It will finish cycling and then you can go back to 1-2 50% water changes a week.

Why do I have to do water changes that big every week after I'm cycled. Is it because of the turtle

jwh0818 said:
Why do I have to do water changes that big every week after I'm cycled. Is it because of the turtle

Because nitrates keep rising and rising and total dissolved solids (simply put dissolved fish poo) need to be removed to keep the fish healthy. The oscars and pleco have a large bioload (they poop more than other fish their size) and that creates more waste. Even without the turtle large water changes will be needed.
Can I get you to google 'old tank syndrome'? Oscars are prone to a disease called 'HITH' if their water isn't kept clean. Basically they get a big hole in their head or lateral line and they get sick, go mad and die from it.
Water changes also reintroduce minerals into the water that fish, plants and your bb use and it helps keep tank params stable.

So simply the fish you have chosen create large amounts of waste so they need large water changes. :)

Back
Top Bottom