Tetra question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mai

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two tetras in my tank and they will kill any fish that I put in there...any suggestions?

Some of the larger tetras will nip long flowing fins of other fish, i.e., bettas, angelfish, but I've never had a tetra kill anything.

Black tetras in a 20 gallon tank. The fish they ate were neons

Black tetras are considered a peaceful community fish, and though I have not kept them, the references I have indicate they will not harm other fish. It could be that these are not actually black tetras but some other kind of fish, or that the neons died from other reasons. Neons can sometimes be hard to keep alive due to water conditions not being under control. If the neons were very, very tiny I guess it is possible they were eaten by the black tetras.

Are the tetras alone in the tank otherwise? You might try to increase the school of tetras, as they are a schooling fish and will feel more comfortable in a group.

yes, thanks will try......because the neons didnt last an hour before the tetras bit
their tails off,then put their heads in their mouth.

I've heard that their bright colors make neon and cardinal tetras are a swimming advertisement for lunch... kind of like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I guess those neons looked so yummy to your blacks that they simply could not resist the temptation.

I just never heard of any tetras eating another fish - fin nipping, yes, actually eating and consuming, no. Then again, any fish small enough to fit in another fish's mouth is a potential meal.

Please don't take offense, but are you absolutely sure that you have black tetras and not some kind of barb?

Well, those are certainly black tetras or black widow tetras. Definitely try getting some mates for them, so they can focus their attention on each other, and they will be happier. If it is possible for you to tell when you get them, try to get more females than males.

It is easily possible for tetras to eat other tetras. Many kinds of tetras are fish-eaters...in fact, some of them specialize in it. Consider that piranhas, African Tiger Fish (Hydrocynus), the Wolf Fish (Hoplias), the so-called Fresh-water Barracuda (Acestrorhynchus), and the scale-eating Exodon are all relatives of the tetras.

That having been said, I don't recall ever seeing the Black Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) being accused of being much of a problem in the community aquarium. Most references consider them to be peaceful and ideal community tank members. Then again...they ARE living animals and don't always behave as we expect them to.

That's wild - I've got 7 black skirt tetras in each of two different tanks, and although they'll chase each other around, I've never seen anything approaching aggression out of them.

QTOFFER said:
I've heard that their bright colors make neon and cardinal tetras are a swimming advertisement for lunch... kind of like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

Interesting because I thought most bold colors and patterns in nature are a warning to stay away.

I have black phantom tetras and serpae tetras and I know that those serpaes are quite boisterous - much more so than the black phantoms. When I put in tiny fry as feeders, the serpaes usually get them way faster than the angel can. If the neons were small enough I can see it happening. Even so, it is not what you would expect. I don't think my serpaes would eat neons if I put them in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom