Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that tetras didn't really school (in the sense of all moving in the same direction together), but shoaled (spend time in groups sort of in the same area). Are they all kind of hanging out together more or less? If so, I think that is what they do. How many do you have?

There are two ways to get tetras to school. 1 get more. The more there are the more likely they are to school. 2 get a few more and get something that gives them a need to school, like a more aggressive cichlid or something. I'd go with option 1, but it depends on what your tank setup is. So with that, how big is your tank?

I disagree with the 'getting more to make them school' reply. Ive had up to 12 neon tetra at a time and they never really schooled.

Schooling is a defense mechanism that schools of fish do in the wild to make them look bigger to the predator. Initially, they will spread out once comfortable in the aquarium (Sometimes, but not all the time).

I have a 29 gallon with five penguin tetras. And 3 panda tetras. I do have an electric blue ram. But that's pretty much as aggressive as it gets in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone

My neons never separate...they occasionally drift apart but they will always stick back together, swim one side to the other together, eat together in the same area. I think the larger the tank (foot print), the more likely you'll have schooling.

When I had four penguins they all schooled together. But I added a doth which was bigger then everyone else and now they don't.

Sent from my iPhone

I have 7 rummynose tetras, 6 are always together, eat together and swim together, and 1 is always the rebel !!! , is a more independent fish, yes he still when in problems swim back to meet the rest, but looks like he enjoys exploring the tank, or is a distracted fish and never knows where are the rest of his bunch.

Lol

CPaul and Ty are spot on. If your fish are comfortable in your tank (which is a good thing!) they very well may rarely school no matter how many you have. I've found schooling with tetra depends on the type of tetra as well. Some are much more likely to school then others. My Black skirts school at times, but my Pristellas rarely do. They are more content to just spread out together in one part of the tank. Same with my Black neons.

I agree with what everyone has said about the numbers not being a factor. My von rios are always together but I have a huge koi angel and a pair of kribs so I think they feel threatened and they tend to school more. Before I got my angelfish I had about 10 neons and they would never school together. They would mostly hang out at the bottom and do their own thing. Once I added the angel they would always dart across the tank together, not even one would stay behind.

Back
Top Bottom