The 60F (V.2) Journal + Ecoxotic E-Series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up AA!!!

So I got excited with the release of the new Ecoxotic E-Series (here) and was able to snatch one up for my 60F. I was pretty pleased with running dual Current Sat+ on the 60P, I thought this would be awesome to try this out and replace my Ray2 (which I'll most likely sell).

Long story, but I went out of town for a month and came home to a pretty nasty 60F. Algae everywhere and most of my plants died. I managed to kill off most of the algae and save some plants. This tank actually stayed up as a grow-out tank (another long story), but this was the old thread when it looked its best....

----HERE-----

But that was then and this is now... maybe by the end of the year, we'll rescape this tank (or my GF will) and get it looking pristine again. For now though, I kind of slapped a quick scape together with what extra substrate, stones, and plants I had laying around. Mainly for the purpose to "test" the new light and try out its growing capabilities suspended fairly high off the tank.

So here are some quick details:

Aquarium: ADA 60-F (24"x12"x7" = 8.6g)
Lighting: 18" Ecoxotic E-Series (24W: 10 white + 4 RGB chips)
Filter: AC20 HOB (temporary)
CO2: Aquatek mini paintball regulator w/ NAG-aqua music note diffuser​

So for now, here's the FTS. More pics to come in the next post. :)
14284364589_dc07e93167_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Brian.
Following with great interest. I'm very glad to see you got the Ecoxotic. Will be interesting to see how it performs. BTW, tank is gorgeous. OS.

Hey OS! Good seeing you buddy... I was starting to wonder if you got lost in Ireland or something. Thanks for following. Hope all is well.

Love how you say 'just a quick scape i threw together'

Well it looks great Brian. All your work looks great

You can come to Boston and quick scape my tank anytime you feel froggy!! Looking like a fun little project... that light must be quite the powerhouse to be able to hover over the tank like that... it's like the DeLorean of leds huh? Hehe can't wait to see how it grows!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finally get to tag along on one of your threads from the start! ;) Sounds great. And ditto on Brooksters comment, you can quick scape my tank if you want!

Still here but w/health issues.

Hey OS! Good seeing you buddy... I was starting to wonder if you got lost in Ireland or something. Thanks for following. Hope all is well.

Sorry to not get back with you on your PM. Last three weeks with major health issues. Had to start dialysis. Did not go well. Spent many days in hospital with A. Fib. and severe cramps from dialysis. Wifi at hospital sucked. Could read post in AA but not answer. SO glad to be home now.
Haven't ordered a BML yet. Now I want to check out your Ecoxotic before deciding which one to get. So keep us updated on yours. OS.

Sorry to not get back with you on your PM. Last three weeks with major health issues. Had to start dialysis. Did not go well. Spent many days in hospital with A. Fib. and severe cramps from dialysis. Wifi at hospital sucked. Could read post in AA but not answer. SO glad to be home now.

Haven't ordered a BML yet. Now I want to check out your Ecoxotic before deciding which one to get. So keep us updated on yours. OS.

Get well soon mate. Health before fish tanks

Thanks everyone for checking in. I'm glad you guys think the scape is good. It would probably look much better if I had no more than 2 or 3 species of plants. I may do that if I can figure out where to put some of the plants. I'm surprised the stone placement came out okay. I don't think I do very well at iwagumi. Guess I got lucky the stones fell into place as they did.

@OS -- man, I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that trouble. Just glad to hear you got better. Stay well! In terms of a BML vs. E-Series, check out post #6 on this thread. BML has an advantage of higher PAR with tighter optics for penetrating taller tanks. The E-Series has wider optics for better coverage + included controller and lower price.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=652410

Last edited:
Of course. Biding my time until after my holiday in Jamaica. Cant wait to have a tank without DHG!!

Ohhh wahhhh, my roots are too thick to add root pellets. .boohoo DHG woes me; p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a nice hotel, all inclusive. Sun, sand, free food and booze and snorkelling with the salty friends. Cant wait.

My three problems with dhg...

1. Invasive! It is everywhere

2. Time consuming. Lots of trimming involved and it takes an age to net it all out

3. Its so thick and the root system is so thick i struggle to plant or push root tabs deep enough into substrate

Ahh I see.. yeah I can see that. What will you use in lieu of it?

Dude.. take a crash course and get PADI certified for open water. SCUBA to around 10 meters. And get a GoPro or Sony Action Cam and take some dive videos ;)

Ahh I see.. yeah I can see that. What will you use in lieu of it?

Dude.. take a crash course and get PADI certified for open water. SCUBA to around 10 meters. And get a GoPro or Sony Action Cam and take some dive videos ;)

Well im undecided. Im sure pogo, rota rotund, ammania bonsai and pogo helfuri are going to be in the scape. I think they all originate from asia. So might think about doing an asian scape if there is a suitable ground cover plant.
Otherwise it will prob be staur repens and ar mini

Back
Top Bottom