The algae war

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CowMoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my pea puffer tank and my empty 8 gallon tank both have smear algae and what I think is Black Beard algae. Does anybody know of products that take care of them. I'll post a pic so you guys can make sure it's what I think it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1465258486536.jpg
    1465258486536.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 1465258521763.jpg
    1465258521763.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 72
Hmm. I can see several different types of algae here, including Black Beard Algea, Blue Green Algae, and maybe some staghorn. Can you tell us more about your tank, particularly your lighting, fertilizer, and CO2/Excel additions? We can probably help you get on top of this.

I had been dosing with flourish excel then I stopped when I noticed the algea. No ferts. I can't remember my light but I know it's for growing high light plants.

High light without fertilizer and inconsistent carbon/CO2 can be a real problem and lead to quite dramatic algae problems. Addressing this would be the best way to address the issue. There are some products that can help, but without addressing the root of the issue, you'll always be playing catch-up.

Do you have a nitrate or phosphate reading? How old is the tank? Do you have any fertilizers available to you?

I have nitrite reading equipment. The tank is about 2 years old and I do not have any ferts.

Back
Top Bottom