The attack of the Lion Fish !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, that's the first I've heard of that. I can't believe people still introduce nono-native species to new areas.

Old news believe it or not, many years old. Pterois volitans occurs in just about every saltwater body of water and the possibility of migration is always plausible other than careless release. More than likely P. volitans will be banned from sale, second to that of snakehead I believe.

All banning them will do is create more appeal and a black market IMO. I am against regulating most things but a small regulation (permit) to help save the environment wouldn't be a big deal to most Aquarists and enthusiasts... Right? Don't get me wrong, last thing I want is an invasive species, but I just feel banning does no good.

Don't know much about the subject but it does seem there would be some better alternatives to banning them. I think the idea of a permit is a good one. That way anyone who wants one bad enough to get a permit will at least be educated on the animal so they don't realize later it will out grow their tank. I also think there should be some rules about releasing all fish into the ocean because i'm sure lions are not the only fish that can cause problems. If the ban lions it will just be another fish down the road causing different problems. Education owners seems like a better solution even though it will be a slower process.

Usually a ban is the best alternative and indicates purchase by permit; however, the permit would only include those for scientific research, laboratories, and educational venues such as public zoos/aquariums. Considering P. volitans is so wide spread I would see no point in banning the specie either other than banning lionfish as a whole in order to regulate other species from being invasive or in attempt to eradicate the current invasive colonies. Granted there are black market animals, of which Florida seems to be the hub, but U.S. Fish and Wilflife does apply pretty thorough quality control in regards to marine fish and invertebrates to the point of being able to identify coral Genus' and confiscations before animals reach the wholesaler.

Back
Top Bottom