The Dreaded Betta Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
This article blew my mind. Some parts I couldn't even get what the person was trying to say, and other parts were just annoying. They didn't say anything about these bowls being too small for any fish.

Go ahead and read it for yourself, and tell me what you thought of this ridiculous article.

http://www.worldfamousfishart.com/betta-fish-articles/

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Okay, rereading it, they do say something about it being too small.

But, they say that in a bowl you have to do manual water changes because you don't have a filter. You do changes anyway!!

the article was horrible.and your right,no fish should be kept in a tank that small.

I read another article that stated that a 2.5 gallon tank was the bare minimum, as bettas grow to five inches...

Um, what?! NO, I DON'T THINK SO! Can you imagine a five inch Betta? A 2.5 gallon would not begin to fit a five inch fish!! Besides, five gallons is the minimum for a Betta! Ugh!

my betta was cramped in a tiny cup when i bought him. He probably thinks he hit the jackpot living in a 5 gallon! not many bettas are as lucky.....

I'm sad to say that before I knew better, I kept bettas in bowls.

My sister has had her betta for over a year and also keeps it in a bowl... But I don't think she's aware of the detriment to a betta either, being cooped up like that.

So my girlfriend and I had a brilliant idea. Found a great deal on a 6-gallon tank on Craigslist that we picked up for her. Her birthday is in six days, and all she'll have to do is add the water and cycle the tank. Little betta, we're coming to your rescue!

What a horrible article in general... When I was younger I always had a betta or a goldfish in a bowl but I was not to be blamed because I thought this was a suitable setup for them. But people misinterpret what bettas can withstand from what's ideal and spread this delusional philosophy, And this author just used poor English as well.... Lol.

Dylan5359 said:
What a horrible article in general... When I was younger I always had a betta or a goldfish in a bowl but I was not to be blamed because I thought this was a suitable setup for them. But people misinterpret what bettas can withstand from what's ideal and spread this delusional philosophy, And this author just used poor English as well.... Lol.

The Betta should be in a minimum of two and a half gallons because it grows to be five inches.

Um... Say what?!

? Wait what? Lol. I know bettas are to be kept in larger tanks. I kept my last betta in a 10 gallon, it's just when I was younger I was always told they could stay in like bowls and those 2 gallon miniature tanks, I never kept them in wall mart cups but smaller tanks that I would definitely not use today.

I thought it said that in the article. Maybe I was thinking of another terribly written article.

Oh. Lol. That's what I thought but couldn't find it in the article.

Lol bettababe go to that thread of when "how old were you when you got your first aquarium" I'm debating with this guy.

Betta splendens won't hit 5 inches, but there are several wild species that will, easily.

Dylan5359 said:
Lol bettababe go to that thread of when "how old were you when you got your first aquarium" I'm debating with this guy.

Yeah. I've been following it. Keeping a seahorse is like keeping a lion? Well, my uncle had a full grown male African lion.

Severum: I actually didn't know that. I only know stuff about Betta Splenden. Thanks.

That article was horrible! All the info was messed up, and half of It was just gibberish! I couldn't fathom any of it!

Bettababe1011 said:
Yeah. I've been following it. Keeping a seahorse is like keeping a lion? Well, my uncle had a full grown male African lion.

Severum: I actually didn't know that. I only know stuff about Betta Splenden. Thanks.

I thought the statements were just ridiculous. And I doubt he understands what Captive and tank raised seahorses are.

Dylan5359 said:
I thought the statements were just ridiculous. And I doubt he understands what Captive and tank raised seahorses are.

Or we could just be misunderstanding exactly what he's thinking.

Yeah, sorry for the OT post, but Wild Bettas are so cool they are always worth mentioning IMO. :p

If you want to learn more about Wilds, check out The IBC Species Maintenance Program for info and great pics.

Back
Top Bottom