The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update! :)
Once you get your tank all good and healthy again, you need to up your rummy school. After that, you are FULL.:)
I was planning that until yet ANOTHER dead rummynose found today. Two days after the water change. Two left. Forget it, I'm just selling them because they're just as annoying as the Friday song, literally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update! :)

I was planning that until yet ANOTHER dead rummynose found today. Two days after the water change. Two left. Forget it, I'm just selling them because they're just as annoying as the Friday song, literally.

Nope, black beard algae.
Fair enough. Are you done with the ich treatment yet? I don't remember. What do you want instead?

absolutangel04 said:
Fair enough. Are you done with the ich treatment yet? I don't remember. What do you want instead?

Yes I'm done with ich, I ran out and the fish were healthy for two weeks so I assumed they were okay.

I'm not sure. I don't think I should get more tetras cuz IDK if they'd have enough swim space. What would you suggest?

Yes I'm done with ich, I ran out and the fish were healthy for two weeks so I assumed they were okay.

I'm not sure. I don't think I should get more tetras cuz IDK if they'd have enough swim space. What would you suggest?
Lol, I feel like I have asked you this 10 million times, but can you remind me of yor stock again? :hide:

No problemo, it changes all the time anyway so its good to update!
X1 angel
X7 pristella tetras
X2 GBRs
X2 honey gouramis
X6 bronze cories
X3 nerite snails
Getting rid of those darn rummies so technically they're not counting...I have a personal vendetta against them now.

Was thinking:
X3 pitbull plecos...or otos...or SAEs...or some other sort of interesting bottom dweller...
X_ ___________, I need some help as I am an indecisive person :nono:

No problemo, it changes all the time anyway so its good to update!
X1 angel
X7 pristella tetras
X2 GBRs
X2 honey gouramis
X6 bronze cories
X3 nerite snails
Getting rid of those darn rummies so technically they're not counting...I have a personal vendetta against them now.

Was thinking:
X3 pitbull plecos...or otos...or SAEs...or some other sort of interesting bottom dweller...
X_ ___________, I need some help as I am an indecisive person :nono:
Sae get way bigger than otos or pitties do. I would stick with otos or pitties. I like the pitties better, by thats just me. Other than that..... I am not sure. The more I think about it, I don't really know that you have space for another full school. You have all levels of the tank filled... I don't know. One option would be to just get a bigger school of Pristellas. If you want to go with another tetra school, any ideas?
Oh, another fun option would be pencilfish. There is a red species (the exact name will come to me later) that does not need to be in schools, you can keep just a male with a couple of females. Its behavior is closer to the black phantom tetra than to most normal schoolers.
EDIT: ruby red pencilfish. But, nevermind. Further research indicates they are hard to find and expensive. If you do see any, that would be cool though.

Are kerrri tetras okay?

I like pencilfish, but they're uncommon here already, I could try the LFS to special order though.

Any invert suggestions, or will they terrorized by my angel?

i have a soft spot for kerries. ive always loved to watch them frit aboiut my tank in an awesome school. however, i think you're pretty closed to stocked. :(

as for inverts, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp. they're interesting little critters. im guessing they have some danger from certain fish (angelfish) but IME theyre lightning quick.

So if I get a healthy, established, breed-like-rabbits colony of them going, they'll survive?

If I don't add another school, what can I add? Maybe I shouldn't add another algae eater, the nerites would get out-competed.

So if I get a healthy, established, breed-like-rabbits colony of them going, they'll survive?

If I don't add another school, what can I add? Maybe I shouldn't add another algae eater, the nerites would get out-competed.
In a tank that big, I wouldn't worry about nerites getting out competed. If you got small fish like otos or pitties, I think you would be fine.
Also, the only invert I would suggest would be bamboo shrimp. I keep them in my community and they are fine since they are too big to be bothered by anybody. IMO, no, even a good sized colony of rcs would be eaten really soon. They are just too small. Gbr are really good an dhunting and killing them, not to mention the angel, gouramis, and everybody else! Anote though, it can be pretty hard to find healthy bamboos. They are filter feeders, not scavengers. They need a good current, sometimes you may have to suppliment their diet with by squirting food at the with a turkey baster. It is hard for them to be shipped, so often stores get them unhealthy.
Maybe you should just call it quite on adding things though. There is nothing wrong with your stock. All your levels are filled, everybody has space. If you want to try another school, maybe black neons.
I am not familiar with the blue tetra. So, I can't really help you there. They should be fine as long as they grow big enough to not get eaten.

Okay, for once and for all.
X1 angel
X2 GBRs
X2 honey gouramis
X6 cories
X3 nerite snails

Pristella tetras perhaps aren't for me, I guess I don't like them as much as I thought I do.

And a mix of:
X6 cardinals
X6 black neons
I would think the colors of those two tetras would play off on each other. Yes or no?

Okay, for once and for all.
X1 angel
X2 GBRs
X2 honey gouramis
X6 cories
X3 nerite snails

Pristella tetras perhaps aren't for me, I guess I don't like them as much as I thought I do.

And a mix of:
X6 cardinals
X6 black neons
I would think the colors of those two tetras would play off on each other. Yes or no?
For one and for all, eh? Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.;)
I think that would be ok. But, you already you didn't really like cardinals. But then, you also said no to Pristellas (x-ray), and then ended up getting them, and now giving them away.... Lol, its like a stocking roller-coaster!
Joking aside though, I do think the colors will look nice together, espcially with the gbr in there. Gbr match both cardinals and blacks really well imo.

Stocking rollercoaster yes it is! :D :D :D
The only reason I didn't like the cardinals was because they were really bad-looking in my current aquascape, but now I would think they'd look nice. But now yet another predicament! :eek:
Kerris or black neons, which would look better with cardinals?

Stocking rollercoaster yes it is! :D :D :D
The only reason I didn't like the cardinals was because they were really bad-looking in my current aquascape, but now I would think they'd look nice. But now yet another predicament! :eek:
Kerris or black neons, which would look better with cardinals?
Personally, I think kerris. Buts thats just up to your personal taste.

Okay...well...
Possibility #1:
6 kerri tetras
6 bentosi tetras
Possibility #2:
6 cardinal tetras
6 black neon tetras
Possibility #3:
6 black neon tetras
6 furcata rainbows
Possibility #4:
6 silver hatchetfish
6 harlequin rasboras
Possibility #5:
6 pearl danios
6 glass catfish
Which one would you choose!?!?!?! :D
Help please!

personally, id like to see cardinals and kerris. if not, then the black neons and cardinals. IMo black neons should be black cardinals.

Back
Top Bottom