The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think youll want to trade him..id trade in the gourami if anyone..is the aggression lower?

Well I would think that a five gallon is nowhere suitable for a DG so that's out of the question. It's really the males in my tank (the DG and GBR), should I sell them both?

Nah i wouldnt sell both! Hey dont you have a different tank?? Maybe a female in a defferent tank? Couldnt you swap em out between the tanks?

Its difficult to answer the question bout who to rehome because I cannot see the fish to know is the biggest aggressor. You can try trading in the male gourami, and even the male GBR if you want, but just keep in mind that might not fix the problem. If you want to keep the angel, then yes, try trading in the gourami first. But, keep an eye on the angel to see if he starts fights with anybody else once the gourami leaves.

Update! :)

Well quite a bit has happened the past two days.

First of all, the male GBR died. So there's no more war. That was around three-four days ago. The gouramis have settled down, and have taken their corner of the tank for themselves. The rest belongs to the angel, minus some spots the gouramis chase him/her out of.

I also added seven bentosi tetras. I drip acclimated them for two hours, and they look A LOT better than I'd expected them to be. They have gorgeous red hues on their fins and tips and nice pinkish/rosy coloration on their body. One of them seems to be the alpha male, as his fins are more longer and curved and his coloration more intense. The rest seem to be juvenille females.

I also addes some water wisteria and hygrophillia. I can't be as strict on water changes now that high school is starting to get hard (like college hard for freshman year, no joke) so I added the wisteria to see if it truly is the "nitrate" absorber everyone says it is. Also added pennywort too. The hygro was just a background plant, wanted something there because the red cabomba is not doing so hot, decided to stay away from that. Seems everything red in fishkeeping is cursed for me, like those dang rummynose tetras!

So far everything is looking okay. I definitely need to trim the plants and clean the Marineland filters but other than that everything's alright. PWC in order, that'll happen either tomorrow or Friday.

I have also found white little circles scattered throughout the back of my tank. I'm not sure if they're eggs or parasites, but I know that tetras are egg scatterers, think they're responsible?

Also...for a little controversy...

I've decided to try an experiment in betta behavior and compabitility and aggression.

I was burning time today at Petco, and I was looking at their betta section. I saw these two female bettas that I just couldn't pass up. One is a veiltail female, who is mostly red but also slightly dark pink and has a blue sheen to her in the center of her body in the right light when she turns. The other is a double halfmoon female that has nice blue, rich coloration but also purple and somewhat green hues to her incremented around her body. They were both gorgeous and I could just see them suffering in those poor, should-be illegal betta cups, so I decided to take them with me.
I let them acclimate for about an hour with each other in a bag, and then I let them into the tank. So far they're adjusting. Each is following the other, and sometimes they split up and move to their own corners of the tank. The gouramis seem to tolerate them and the angel as well, the GBR ignoring them. I just wanted to test the usual statements of betta compatibility and behavior. If all goes wrong, I do have a back-up plan and re-homing in mind.

So now the final and concluded stock list is:
X1 angel
X2 gold honey gouramis
X1 GBR
X7 black neon tetras
X7 bentosi tetras
X6 cories
X2 female bettas
X3 nerite snails

Anyone know how to get these black neons to school? They're all over the place and it's starting to bother me as there's no harmony, just scattered confusion, which wasn't really the idea I was going for.

And that's about it. I'm thinking about experimenting with shrimp in community tanks as well, but for now it's one at a time. That's all, thanks for reading! :)

Well quite a bit has happened the past two days.

First of all, the male GBR died. So there's no more war. That was around three-four days ago. The gouramis have settled down, and have taken their corner of the tank for themselves. The rest belongs to the angel, minus some spots the gouramis chase him/her out of.

I also added seven bentosi tetras. I drip acclimated them for two hours, and they look A LOT better than I'd expected them to be. They have gorgeous red hues on their fins and tips and nice pinkish/rosy coloration on their body. One of them seems to be the alpha male, as his fins are more longer and curved and his coloration more intense. The rest seem to be juvenille females.

I also addes some water wisteria and hygrophillia. I can't be as strict on water changes now that high school is starting to get hard (like college hard for freshman year, no joke) so I added the wisteria to see if it truly is the "nitrate" absorber everyone says it is. Also added pennywort too. The hygro was just a background plant, wanted something there because the red cabomba is not doing so hot, decided to stay away from that. Seems everything red in fishkeeping is cursed for me, like those dang rummynose tetras!

So far everything is looking okay. I definitely need to trim the plants and clean the Marineland filters but other than that everything's alright. PWC in order, that'll happen either tomorrow or Friday.

I have also found white little circles scattered throughout the back of my tank. I'm not sure if they're eggs or parasites, but I know that tetras are egg scatterers, think they're responsible?

Also...for a little controversy...

I've decided to try an experiment in betta behavior and compabitility and aggression.

I was burning time today at Petco, and I was looking at their betta section. I saw these two female bettas that I just couldn't pass up. One is a veiltail female, who is mostly red but also slightly dark pink and has a blue sheen to her in the center of her body in the right light when she turns. The other is a double halfmoon female that has nice blue, rich coloration but also purple and somewhat green hues to her incremented around her body. They were both gorgeous and I could just see them suffering in those poor, should-be illegal betta cups, so I decided to take them with me.
I let them acclimate for about an hour with each other in a bag, and then I let them into the tank. So far they're adjusting. Each is following the other, and sometimes they split up and move to their own corners of the tank. The gouramis seem to tolerate them and the angel as well, the GBR ignoring them. I just wanted to test the usual statements of betta compatibility and behavior. If all goes wrong, I do have a back-up plan and re-homing in mind.

So now the final and concluded stock list is:
X1 angel
X2 gold honey gouramis
X1 GBR
X7 black neon tetras
X7 bentosi tetras
X6 cories
X2 female bettas
X3 nerite snails

Anyone know how to get these black neons to school? They're all over the place and it's starting to bother me as there's no harmony, just scattered confusion, which wasn't really the idea I was going for.

And that's about it. I'm thinking about experimenting with shrimp in community tanks as well, but for now it's one at a time. That's all, thanks for reading! :)
If the black neons don't school now, they probably won't. You could try re-homing one so you just have 6 to see if that works better, but thats just a guess. No guarantees.
Good luck with the bettas. Personally, I have found females to have highly variable temperaments, so who knows. Its not advisable, but I keep a male and female betta in a 10 without problems and thats not advisable either. You will have to wait and see what happens as they grow up a bit. :)

If the black neons don't school now, they probably won't. You could try re-homing one so you just have 6 to see if that works better, but thats just a guess. No guarantees.
Good luck with the bettas. Personally, I have found females to have highly variable temperaments, so who knows. Its not advisable, but I keep a male and female betta in a 10 without problems and thats not advisable either. You will have to wait and see what happens as they grow up a bit. :)
Well they've started schooling now that the angel's getting bigger and starting to become the fish herder. I think it might also be because of the bentosis, they saw them schooling and I guess they were like "Oh hey, they're schooling why ain't we?" :)
So far the two female bettas are doing great. Not seemingly bothered by each other. Not that it's garunteed to work, but everything is fine so far, and if they ever bother one another one just goes into the plants and they don't see each other again until they're ready.
My BBA is done and the ludwiga respens is starting to show some nice color, red/gold. Once I clean up the tank and start pruning (it looks like a pig sty in there) I'll post some pics :)

Sounds good. I had forgotten your angel was sort of small, but it sounds like he is reminding those black neons that they are schooling fish. :)
I know people have very mixed results with female bettas, and most people who have tried sororities say they don't really work, but I knwo bettas are individuals, and sometimes things that shouldn't work with them do indeed work. So, good luck. I hope the peace continues. I will look forward to pictures.

Hey bruins! I was wondering how your female beta pair was going! And i also have a question. I have hatchets, an angel, and glowlight tetras in my planted 40. Think a beta fish would work well in there? My friends family has one they dont want, and i would take it off of their hands. I need to know, also, how to tell a male from a female. Thanks man!

Hey bruins! I was wondering how your female beta pair was going! And i also have a question. I have hatchets, an angel, and glowlight tetras in my planted 40. Think a beta fish would work well in there? My friends family has one they dont want, and i would take it off of their hands. I need to know, also, how to tell a male from a fenale. Thanks man!
Oh man, toay I was JUST thinking about the female betta pair too! I thought to myself, "I wonder how thats going. I should look up the thread and ask!" Lol.:lol:

Oh Heyyy guys! :)

Sorry, I've been on less and less now that school is taking over my life now, LOL.

@angel-They're doing awesome! I was actually worried a bit because one of them looked like they wouldn't make it, but they're doing really well now! So far their favorite pastime is a cross between hide-and-go-seek and tag. The blue one is always "it", and the red one is always hiding behind a rock or plants. When the blue one finds her, I guess they sort of circle around each other, and then the red one takes off and they go at it again! They also seem to enjoy the current of the filter a lot. The other fish take no notice of them, and they themselves seem to like to be alone sometimes as well. So far no problems, but I do have a spare tank just in case :)

Also, I guess they don't call it a breeder tank for nothing! Already I've seen the male and female go through bubble nests and courting quite a bit, and most recently my cories were getting a little hyper and started scattering eggs all over the tank walls :D The bentosis seem to have been establishing a pecking order too. There's two males, one dominant, and the rest are females that either hide behind the plants because the male is chasing them, or in the front, cruising.

These dang black neons don't school. But at this point it's fine with me. So long as I have one schooler :)

Other than that, everything is normal. Angel still growing little by little. Starting to show some more aggression, already attacking and trying to eat the nerite snails! GBR healthy. Gouramis in business as usual.

STILL need to trim and prune. I promise, tank pics soon by the weekend at least! :)

Well gotta go to bed, see you soon! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, I've been on less and less now that school is taking over my life now, LOL.

@Gboy66 IMO it could work. I'm keeping mine that way do far and no problems )

@angel-They're doing awesome! I was actually worried a bit because one of them looked like they wouldn't make it, but they're doing really well now! So far their favorite pastime is a cross between hide-and-go-seek and tag. The blue one is always "it", and the red one is always hiding behind a rock or plants. When the blue one finds her, I guess they sort of circle around each other, and then the red one takes off and they go at it again! They also seem to enjoy the current of the filter a lot. The other fish take no notice of them, and they themselves seem to like to be alone sometimes as well. So far no problems, but I do have a spare tank just in case :)

Also, I guess they don't call it a breeder tank for nothing! Already I've seen the male and female go through bubble nests and courting quite a bit, and most recently my cories were getting a little hyper and started scattering eggs all over the tank walls :D The bentosis seem to have been establishing a pecking order too. There's two males, one dominant, and the rest are females that either hide behind the plants because the male is chasing them, or in the front, cruising.

These dang black neons don't school. But at this point it's fine with me. So long as I have one schooler :)

Other than that, everything is normal. Angel still growing little by little. Starting to show some more aggression, already attacking and trying to eat the nerite snails! GBR healthy. Gouramis in business as usual.

STILL need to trim and prune. I promise, tank pics soon by the weekend at least! :)

Thats great! My angel likes to pick on my mystery snails, but they get distracted pretty easily, so the snails just hide for a sec, then race as fast as a snail can race away.
Wow, so your corys are scattering eggs, the honeys breed, and the betta is making a bubble nest? You certainly have a love boat going there, huh?

bruinsbro1997 said:

@Gboy66 IMO it could work. I'm keeping mine that way do far and no problems )

WOAH! sound so awesome! I dont have alot of time to reply right now, but everything sounds smoothe!! Im happy your tank has come through in the end. Problem after poblem has come up but your tank sounds awesome. Pics! Cya!

EDIT: Also, How do you sex betas absolut or bruins?

beta males have tapered fins and are more streamlined, females have less colour and are rounder with soft edges on the fins. i bought two bettas for my long finned male, but one female managed to spawn with the other. so obv u can get questionable males lol!

are you getting lots of fry now bruins? xx

I disagree mouthbrooder. females just dont have as flowy fins. they canbe just as colorful and gorgeous as males.

Tank sounds like its doing great. i cant wait for pics of the fry!

mr.waffles1842 said:
I disagree mouthbrooder. females just dont have as flowy fins. they canbe just as colorful and gorgeous as males.

Tank sounds like its doing great. i cant wait for pics of the fry!

But they are rounder? As in rounder bodies or fins?

But they are rounder? As in rounder bodies or fins?
I am specificaly refering to veiltales/ct. The fins of the females are so much shorter. Also, while sometimes females get really colorful, in general they are not usually as colorful. But, the fins are a better way to id the gender to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom