The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's literally just a second container with two holes at the top, one with a line going to your DIY CO2 vessel and one line leading to your tank. You could also fill it 1/3 of the way with water and stick the line leading to the yeast broth all the way in the bottom so that it works like a bubble counter.

I'm kinda getting frustrated on this end. The second bottle seemed to help, but yesterday there was a bunch of disgusting yeast muck on the plants again. I had to do some massive cleaning to both the plants and the filter (which smelled rank).

Is there any other way in preventing this from happening?

When you say it smells rank, what does it smell like? Is it kind of a boggy smell, like something's been wet for too long?

You might do a fairly substantial water change (or two back to back 50% changes), just in case there is residual gunk from your CO2 broth. Can you also take a pic of your entire CO2 setup just to make sure everything is hooked up right?

When you say it smells rank, what does it smell like? Is it kind of a boggy smell, like something's been wet for too long?

You might do a fairly substantial water change (or two back to back 50% changes), just in case there is residual gunk from your CO2 broth. Can you also take a pic of your entire CO2 setup just to make sure everything is hooked up right?

It sort of smells like rank, moldy fungus that has been in a bog that's been polluted. (I don't really know how to describe it).

I'll take a pic. I'll also take a pic of the plants to show you what I'm talking about.

This is the stuff on my plants:

This is what my CO2 system looks like:

Attachments

• image-3144792047.jpg
    image-3144792047.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2020176763.jpg
    image-2020176763.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image-273132583.jpg
    image-273132583.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 59
Ok, that might be your problem. The bottom of the tube needs to be above the water level so that it ONLY sucks up gases. Otherwise it's just shunting the yeast solution into your tank.

aqua_chem said:
Ok, that might be your problem. The bottom of the tube needs to be above the water level so that it ONLY sucks up gases. Otherwise it's just shunting the yeast solution into your tank.

There's my problem! The one I read about online said to put the airline in the solution. Thank you! Should I do the same for the burp bottle as well?

Well I'm at my last straw with this tank. This yeast muck film slime keeps getting on my plants and won't go AWAY. I'm considering just dumping out all the plants and starting fresh, I am losing my patience.....

What if you didn't use diy co2 and just used ferts? Not sure if that will Cause alot of algae or not. Way about pressurized co2?

George9 said:
What if you didn't use diy co2 and just used ferts? Not sure if that will Cause alot of algae or not. Way about pressurized co2?

Can't do that-too much light, not enough CO2 in frets /:

I would do pressurized CO2 but the cost is going to put a big hole in my wallet, which no longer exists since I have no money.....

bruinsbro1997 said:
Can't do that-too much light, not enough CO2 in frets /:

I would do pressurized CO2 but the cost is going to put a big hole in my wallet, which no longer exists since I have no money.....

Lol. Ok so if i get this right, you cant win with co2, and you cant win without it...? What is this.

I feel ya though,,ive got crazy diatoms:/

Did you get the solution in the water after you pulled the tube out of the solution and put it above the solution instread? I don't kno alot about diy co2 but what if you moved the tube sticking in the bottle higher so that no solution could go up the tube, only the gas.

If the stuff Is inpossible to get off, you might have to start over. But I would rip the plants out and rinse them good in tap water.

The stuff in the bottle probably isn't called a solution, but i don't care lol

Gboy66 said:
Lol. Ok so if i get this right, you cant win with co2, and you cant win without it...? What is this.

I feel ya though,,ive got crazy diatoms:/
#winning :D

No, the plants win with CO2. I don't. And neither do my poor cardinal tetras who are scared half to death when I do big cleaning on the tank.

I did take it out of the solution last night, it's been like that for a month now, which would be the root of my problems. I am thinking about taking out the plants and rinsing them off.

Yeah, I'd take them out and give them a good rinse. No point in starting fresh when you can easily clean the crap off.

I should have started over....

There is a bunch of crap all over the tank. There is black crud all over the substrate from who knows what. The tetras and rasboras are dying like flies. And I still have not done any homework....

I'm thinking about selling this tank altogether.

Gboy66 said:
How are the fish dying?? Man:( im sorry! This has been a tough run:(:(

The ammonia under the substrate I suppose. I guess the plants never used it, and I never vacuumed there, because right now it's around .5.

As of now there are four swimming cardinals, one looking like its gasping, seven or so rasboras, and the rest dead or missing....

And the primary suspect

Is me.

Back
Top Bottom